1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fedora Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by laremac, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laremac

laremac Thread Starter

Picked up an old book that had Fedora 7 on disc with it. Of course, my Netgear WPN 111 wireless adapter will not work with it, and I want to buy one that will without the ndiswrapper or any other finagling. Does anyone know for sure what product will plug and play with this distribution? Thanks for looking, Laremac.

2. arochester

arochester

Fedora is currently issue 21. I would not advise using 7. It will teach you nothing.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, you might learn how difficult it used to be to find a wireless adapter that would work "without the ndiswrapper or any other finagling" (or even with those), but I agree that is not too useful now. :)

4. laremac

laremac Thread Starter

Not trying to learn anything, just make a buggy old Windows XP machine work without doing anything more than buying the adapter and running a DVD I already have to install the OS. BUT... I can download an ISO file, burn a DVD, and install it if I knew which one to use and the hardware it supports. Suggestions?

I'm not a geek so I would want the simplest, most idiot proof version of the Linux OS. I have a couple of Netgear adapters, one is labeled V2 and the other is just WPN 111, but I don't mind buying whatever would work with a particular Linux distribution.

Thanks for the replies,

Laremac

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Remember that you can try Linux distributions as a Live CD (where often "CD" can actually be a DVD or USB flash drive) before installing.

I think (based on my past experience) that there is a good chance your Netgear adapter will work with Puppy Linux.

6. laremac

laremac Thread Starter

Yes I tried the live CD that came with the book about Fedora 7. One reason for wanting to use that version was that the book has quite a bit of detailed instructions for setting up and using the software. I suppose some of it may apply to later Fedora distributions. The live CD did detect and install my network card, just not the adapter. I've seen some posts about NDISwrapper and it looks tricky, what with the typed commands, hidden folders and all for an old point and clicker. I'll look into the puppy thing. Great of you to lend a hand.

OK, looked at the puppies... whew! Hard to pick a pup from that kennel, so many choices. Maybe I should ask. I have 2 old PC's, a P 3 and a P4, the 3 has 512 of RAM and the 4 has a gig. Got 2 little Toshiba flash drives, the usual CD /DVD players/writers, both HD's (a 20 and a 40 gig) split in half by Fdisk and with XP Pro using NTFS on C: and D: empty with FAT32 file system. I am fed up with the instability of the windows OS. Would you pick a pup for me?

Thanks Terry, your help is very appreciated.

PS: About all I do is email, banking, check the news and weather, and use a magicjack.

7. laremac

laremac Thread Starter

I installed Linuxmint 17.1 32 bit Cinnamon which, unlike Fedora 7, detected and installed drivers for the Netgear WPN 111 V2 wireless adapter, and connected to my wireless network. New problem is, it is running in something called software rendering mode, which I know nothing about, and says it has no video acceleration and may be missing drivers. It runs very slowly. Willing to try any suggestions.

Thanks, Laremac

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!