(Solved) Figuring out the type of sound card I have...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pyrosx1

OK, I'm working with a very strange computer. I was having huge problems with my display adapter, which was an SiS 305 according to AIDA32, the program that displays info about your comp. I went to the SiS website, and other driver websites, and kept trying different drivers, none of them working. Finally, after giving up, I opened up Internet Explorer and it took me to the Windows update center, scanned my computer, and gave me the exact driver I needed, fixing the problem.

After taking about 5 minutes to sit in shock as i stared at this machine, I decided to get cracking on the sound card, since it was also not functioning. Same story, used AIDA32 and it told me that there is nothing under Windows Audio, and under PCI/PnP Audio, it lists;
-SiS 7018 Audio Accelerator PCI
-MPU-401-compatible PnP
I tried downloading drivers for the SiS 7018 part, but nothing works. My computer (Running Win 98 SE) still tells me I dont have a sound card loaded or that it is not working. The computer was built by a repair shop I think, and I'd really rather not go back to them and pay to have them fix this. Can anyone help?

Pyrosx1

Onboard I guess, There isnt any actual card sticking out, just a little box that's connected to the sound input and output in the back.

Do you have a driver disk that came with the PC, it should contain the onboard sound drivers.

Pyrosx1

Bios is when you start the computer and go into setup right? I'll give that a shot... and I bought the computer from a friend who said that there were no discs included...

Can you see on the motherboard what the make and revision number is of the board, its often printed near the PCI slots.

Pyrosx1

ok i looked around, and these were the names i saw inside the computer.

iTE

AMIBIOS

KTS

Realtek

also, a couple of F's and about 3 S's, but the S's had two lines (||) that were in the middle of it.

Pyrosx1

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 62-0712-001437-00101111-071595-SiS730S$M810LRRelease 07/12/2001 S
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 201 MHz
Bandwidth 1608 MB/s

BIOS Properties
BIOS Type AMI
System BIOS Date 07/12/01
Video BIOS Date 12/28/20

BIOS Manufacturer
Company Name American Megatrends Inc.
Product Information http://www.ami.com/amibios

Problems & Suggestions
Suggestion System BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

_________

Chipset Properties
Motherboard Chipset SiS 730S
CAS Latency 3T
RAS To CAS Delay 3T
RAS Precharge 3T

Integrated Graphics Controller
Graphics Controller Type SiS 300
Graphics Controller Status Enabled
Graphics Frame Buffer Size 16 MB

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 128 MB (SDRAM)
DRAM Slot #2 64 MB (SDRAM)

AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Disabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Fast-Write Supported, Disabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation
Product Information http://www.sis.com/products/index.htm#chipsets
Driver Download http://download.sis.com

Problems & Suggestions
Problem AGP is disabled. This may cause performance penalty.

what else do you need?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online