Solved: file associations (related to extension question)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

americamba

Hi, I have to reassociate my files in such a way that they open up as html.
For example, I have a cd with a help file that I need desperately but when I click on the icon for help in explorer (I use win98) I get a wordpad text file.

What is the executable file that will make it be html that I can put in to any place that asks for "which file to use to open such and such a file?"

thanks, Frank

Problems with help files can be very difficult to diagnose and resolve. I would start by following the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q252612/

Also since help files typically have a .chm association you need to verify the associations for both .chm and chm.file in the registry. They are found in the location

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\

The chm.file association should look like this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file]
@="Compiled HTML Help file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\hh.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\chm.file\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\WINDOWS\\hh.exe\" %1"
while .chm will simply have chm.file as the default association.

and for what it's worth HTML files would normally associate to Internet Explorer, and should already be so associated -- but you can choose IE if you get a prompt and that is the only way you can get them there.

americamba

Thanks for a great answer. But it's a little more than I bargained on. Let me give you some background. It may be easier and unnecessary for me to muck up the registry.

I queried this forum but I also assume that there is a connection between the fact the the html doesn't come up in two places: 1, for the help file and 2. the fact that the same thing happens with my ws_ftp when I click on "exec" (I use an old faithful old version. I am told new versions don't have "exec". It used to show the page as it would be on the web).

Does that help. It seems that all of win98 has been set to display html files as wordpad. (I vaguely remember someone playing with another html reader which is no longer on my PC).

So it is not just a help file problem. Does that help in your much appreciated attempt to help this old duffer? (PS my kids say I am an anomaly, a retired senior old fart who plays around way over my head).

I want to able see html files on my pc as they would show on the web. By the way, I have no problem surfing, and also I can see the html option when google offers in in a search (vs PDF)

Thanks, Frank

You say you have no trouble surfing, but are you using Internet Explorer as your default browser? Because that is what HTML files normally associate with unless you have changed that.

Click an .html shortcut link directly -- does it open in IE?

Go to Folder Options > File Types and look for the HTML file type. It should say "Opens with" Internet Explorer. You can reassociate it there if it has changed, or you can simply shift+Right click on an .html extension. Then select "open with" from the context menu. Select Internet Explorer (Iexplore.exe) from the list and then check "always use" and click "ok".

This will make the reassociation to IE permanent.

It *should* correct the problem IF it is simply an issue with HTML associations.

You may also want to go to Internet Options > Programs tab and make sure IE is set as the "default" browser. "Reset Web Settings" can be used for some similar issues involving html links in shortcuts or Outlook Express.

americamba

Thanks, You inspired me to find where the file type dialog was. I forgot how to get there through IE. But I fianally got there and associated html with ie and now it's OK. thanks, Frank

You're welcome :)

I'll mark the thread "Solved" then, but for future reference this option is available to you when you feel appropriate -- using the Thread Tools tab.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online