1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File cannot be deleted as file name invalid...!!! HELP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Steven35, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steven35

Steven35 Thread Starter

OK i should admit that this was a slightly dubious file alledgedly proving a certain starlets dislike of underwear..... However the file name is so long that Windows XP will not let me delete it... also the file was corrupted ( no pun intended ) so has a zero file length.. I did virus scan the download and AVG said file was not virus.... anyway i need to get rid of it any ideas....!!! :eek:

A big shout out to all replies But the Biggest thanks to Moderator John Will who had the simple idea of shift everything else then delete folder........ Why is it always the simplest ideas that work best... PS I eventually saw evidence of starlets dislike of pants on google images.... Take off safe search and leer away without having to download any suspiscious files.

Thanks Again

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Several things we can do

Have you tried re-naming the pic file and then deleting?

Can you post the exact filepath (location of the file on hard drive)...if it's in Temporary Internet Files or somewhere, we have some tools that may get rid of it. Try renaming/ re-saving it first. If you get a message that the file does not exist or is corrupted, post the exact message please.

3. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Also, can you move the file to another folder (an otherwise empty folder) ?

Might also try to open a different picture (one that won't get you fired) and save it under the same filename (thereby overwriting the inappropriate file)

4. kath100

kath100

"Moveonboot" will delete it.
    Freeware..
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html

"MoveOnBoot allows you to copy, move or delete files on the next system boot. This can come handy if you need to replace or delete files that are locked by other applications, loaded into memory or cannot be changed until next system boot. "

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Move all the other files from the folder, delete that folder, then recreate it and move the other files back.

6. Steven35

Steven35 Thread Starter

Big thanks a simple idea that worked perfectly

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice