1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File "close" or Click "X" to Close Document

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sistafatti, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

I typicalliy save a file I am working on and then just click the "X" in the upper right hand corner to exit a document. Should I forget to save, I generally receive a prompt asking if I want to save the document before exiting.

A friend insists that the proper procedure to exit a program is to click File then Close to properly close the program. He demonstrated by clicking the "X" to exit the program. When he double clicked the program icon on his desktop, the program opened to the document he was previously working on. (This doesn't happen with all software programs)His argument? "See it isn't really closed, if someone were to hack my computer via a wireless connection, they could see what I am working on so you should always use File, Close." I said "no problem because the wireless connection is encrypted with a password so someone cruisng WiFI's could access the connection anway."

I say the program document is closed when you use the "X" he insists it is still an open document. Anyone care to settle this one?

2. karbo

karbo Banned

For me, when you close with the "X" it's closed. I never opened back Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, to find it was showing to the same page. In my opinion, your friend has a few corrupted files...

If you're closing a Word document that hasn't been saved yet, you will be prompted to save it first before you can close Word with the "X", or by going to FIle and Exit.

3. Tymon

Tymon

well if you really want to be sure check the process although both should close(as long as its the red X not the small black x)

Perhaps when pressing x word remembers the last document you were working on and just opens it normaly(or..but unlikely saves a draft of the document)?

its definitely 100% closed and if someone would hack into your wifi they would still find the document in your hard disk anyway unless its on a pen drive.

if you really want to be sure(and prove him wrong), stick a usb flash drive in and open a document from it, close it from the X and then safely remove it, open word now...it should not open the document.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    By the way, there is NO RED x, it is a red box with a white X. [smile]

It does NOT matter which way you do it.

However back in the Windows 95 days, when this "White X" and "RED" box appeared, it did matter.

5. schoft

schoft

The Proper way to close all programs is File close or exit. The problem with using the X to close your program there will be a day you use a program that when you use the X to close the program it will lock you out or corrupt your program.

6. karbo

karbo Banned

Now what would be the "X" for then?

7. Tymon

Tymon

ah True dave lol. you'd think its a red X at a glimpse

8. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

Thanks all.............the information you provided is really helpful. Appreciate the responses

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice