1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File conversion question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by perstare, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

I need to convert Works 2000 v5.0 .wdb file to Word 2000 v9.0.6926 SP3 .doc file. Who knows how to do this?

Thank you.

Mike B

2. KyleMoore

KyleMoore

3. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

Thank you, KyleMoore, for your reply. You're right, of course... I did search Google and didn't come up with anything useful. I have used this site before (and contributed US$25), so I thought I'd try to get my answer here.
    My need for this isn't urgent, but I have a .wdb file which I add to daily, and it would be great if I could use Word instead of Works.
    Mike B

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you have the Works 2000 Suite, it includes a Batch File converter to covert Works files to Word:

You can also download a converter from Microsoft
    Works 2000 Converter for Word 97/2000 Users

HTH

Jerry

5. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

At the bottom of your post, Outcaste, you made a link for the converter. I failed to mention that I am using XP Pro. The link provided does not work with the operating system XP Pro. Also, I am trying to convert from .wdb not from .wps.

I did do the steps in the first part of your post, however. My disk is MS Office 2000 Premium. The steps led to a search for file DATA1.MSI on the disk. Couldn't find it. I browsed through the directory for that disk and I couldn't find it, either.

Then I saved the Works file to various forms (txt with commas, csv, etc) and I tried the combinations to Open from Word, those files. No luck.

Mike B

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You are having trouble because that wdb file is a database file NOT a document.
    Save it as a text with commas file and then use Excel NOT Word to open it

7. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

Thank you DaveBurnett. Your reply makes an observation which is 100% true, and unfortunately, the root of my problem. My need is to convert .wdb to .doc.
    This whole thing doesn't seem to make any sense because it seems like I'm asking the impossible. Here is my explanation, although it may seem a little lame: I make periodic addtions to the database... almost every day. It is awkward in its Works form. Word would be much much easier.
    (Then anyone would ask, "WHY DID YOU BEGIN THIS FILE IN DATABASE FORM?" The answer is that I didn't realize that I'd have these problems. When the database was small, it was manageable. Now its big and awkward. If I had it to do over again, I would have used Word, and structured the column array within the ability of Word.)
    I've spent a lot of time on this. I think that there may not be a way to do this.
    Thank you, because you put your finger on the heart of the problem. There may NOT be a solution to this.
    Mike B

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

My bad, totally missed the .wdb extension, just assumed you were converting a Works document to Word, so those converters won't work. The converter should work just fine on XP though. Most software that runs on Win2K does.
    MS doesn't always get around to updating their info. I think they hope that if you don't see XP as a supported OS you'll buy an updated version.

As DaveBurnett has already said, you can save the data in one of the text formats and open them with Excel, or directly in Word.
    Without knowing what the records are, or how you want them to look, hard to make any other suggestions.

Notetab Light or Notepad++ might be useful, as both support Regular Expressions, very useful at re-formating delimited text.

HTH

Jerry

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

OK, if you insist on having it in Word that is just one step further than my previous reply.

Once you have it in Excel save it in XLS. and close.
    Then open Word and in a clean document do a INSERT .... FILE and point to the XLS file.
    That will import it as a table, which you can then play around with as you like.

10. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

Quick Reply to DaveBurnett and TheOutcaste:
    I think I'm going to have a real good day today, partly because of your interest and your advice. Your suggestions look very promising.
    I won't be able to use your suggestions immediately, but I did want to reply to let you know that I DID read your posts.
    It's now 525 am locally (GMT-6, USA Central Time) and I will get back on this problem later this afternoon.
    THANKS!
    Mike B

11. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

OK - Someone once said that if you step back from a problem and take a look at it from a distance, you get a better perspective on it.
    THANK YOU for helping me, everybody. Please don't take more of your time on this problem. Stop. stop. stop.
    [Before I forget, I did try converting from .wdb to .xls to .doc and using Excel as sort of an intermediate step as suggested. It didn't work. I did give it my best shot. I also tried all the combinations of various .txt methods (e.g., tab&text, etc.) and that didn't work. But your suggestions didn't just go down the drain. I did try.]
    What I did learn after all these attempts is that there probably IS a way to do this, but I decided to go about the problem differently. (Keyword: "QUICK AND DIRTY")
    There are five columns. Columns 1-4 contain very little information (name, date, etc.) and column 5 is very big (it contains a verbal summary of lengthy personal interviews.) I made the font for cols 1-4 very small which allowed me to narrow the columns. Then I made the column five font big enough to read easily, because that is where the real important contents are.
    I fooled around with col 5 width making it as wide as possible for printing purposes.
    The darn thing is 95% perfect for my needs. There isn't any sense trying for that last five per cent. It ain't ELEGANT,but its quick.
    Again, my thanks for you guys getting involved. Your efforts taught me something: If the problem doesn't lend itself to a quick elegant solution, go for the quick QUICK AND DIRTY solution.
    Your efforts weren't wasted. Thank you.
    Mike B

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

So, if your data looks like this:
    Code:
    Last Name First Name Phone       Interview Date    Summary
    Doe       John       555-0199    10/29/2008        Tall, dark, and handsome, blah blah blah
    Smith     John       555-0100    10/29/2008        Short, fat, and ugly, blah blah blah
    And you want it to appear in Word like this, with each person's info starting on a new page, with the summary as a paragraph taking however many pages it needs like this:
    Code:
     Name:            John Doe
    Phone:           555-0199
    Interview Date:  10/29/2008
    Summery:

Tall, dark, and handsome, blah blah blah

Page 1

Name:            John Smith
    Phone:           555-0100
    Interview Date:  10/29/2008
    Summery:

Short, fat, and ugly, blah blah blah

Page 2
    This would be easy to convert. Save the database as text with tabs.
    Open the file in Word
    Edit | Replace
    Click More, then check use Wildcards
    Use this for the find string:
    Code:
    (*)^t(*)^t(*)^t(*)^t(*)^13
    This will read the 5 fields and assign them to the replacement wildcard \n (\1 through \5)
    Use this for the Replace string
    Code:
    Name:^t^t^t\2 \1^pPhone:^t^t\3^pInterview Date:^t\4^pSummary:^p^p\5^m
    Then add a footer to show the page number if desired.
    You can add anything you want, rearrange the fields, add page breaks, etc

You might want to make a test file with just a few records to get the formatting right, like correct number of tabs to line things up and so forth.

HTH

Jerry

13. perstare

perstare Thread Starter

Jerry -- I saw your solution. It looks like it could be a winner. I will be out of town Nov 1 to Nov 7, and packing for the trip today and tomorrow (Oct 30 and 31). I may not be able to attempt your solution until after my return.
    I'm saying this because if you don't hear from me, that is the reason.
    Thank you for taking the interest. I will use your suggestion.
    Mike B

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/762905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice