1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File deletion problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rufusta2, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I am trying to delete some files on a usb flash drive but keep getting an error. It says can't delete file: can't read from source file or disk. How can I delete them? Can I use a registry program to remove just those files and if I can how do I get it to work just for the flash drive? I really don't want to format the flash drive if possible.

2. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

Forgot to add that all my other files can be read and run from the flash drive.

3. Kennethj

Kennethj

The best option is to back up your flash drive files and format it. Be aware that once it hits the "error" files it will stop copying, so you'll have to make sure you have every single file. Then just do a quick format. Sorry, but this is the quickest and easiest method.

4. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I do understand that but I was just thinking there was a way like using a registry cleaner to remove files that won't delete normally on the hard drive. I don't care about losing the files because it is just some stupid things my son had saved to it. I already transferred my stuff the the hard drive. Just trying to keep the peace and his files without putting it on my computer.

5. rufusta2

rufusta2 Thread Starter

I ran scandisk on the flash drive and it fixed everything except for 2 files that I haven't gotten to delete yet. They had no names, only symbols and squares like some foreign language. Even the name on the flash drive had the symbols on it until I ran scandisk. Now it says removable disk E: like it's supposed to.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice