1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: file format

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Skynrd, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

I upgraded to XP Pro x64 but now it sees all my AVI files as type Video Clip and if I play them I just here the music no video. Anybody know why and what to do? I'm thinking a Codec problem.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Perhaps the File Association for AVI file-types is set to the incorrect program..?

T.

3. renegade600

renegade600

what video player are you using? did you check the volume controls in the player and on your computer? do you have sound on your computer in other apps.

I would suggest using vlc as your media player. you would not have to worry about codecs since it comes with most. and it would be a good way to test to see if it is a video player issue or something else.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

If you use VLC make sure you download the 64bit player
    search to the bottom of the home page to find the link

codecs FFdshow, Haali Matroska Download latest audio/video codecs & tools
    http://www.codecs.com

5. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

This is my DJ computer and Siglos is one of the best players I started with for my karaoke and had no problems with. My computer is down for an upgrade using another Kingston 120GB SS drive just a newer version. Issue came about when I plugged the original SSHD back in. Just pulled the battery, this has worked in the past. But the beep code indicates memory problem with either drive, which were formatted and run separately on this computer. All of a sudden either being plugged in the motherboard says FU 3 times (memory error) on both drives.

6. Skynrd

Skynrd Thread Starter

Sorry got of track running again. How do you check your file association? Also I run Siglos pro for my karaoke & video cause I need dual screen for my forward facing TV and send wireless HDMI to any in house
    TVs.

Sorry brain fart had hide extensions on can see .avi now but still only plays music no video.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

To check File Association

1. Right-click the file
    2. Scroll down the pop-up Menu until you get to "Open with"
    3. Place your Mouse over "Open with"
    4. At the bottom of the options will be "Choose default program"
    5. Click on it
    6. A window will open with a selection of programs to use to open that filetype

The program at the top of the list is the Default program currently set for that filetype.

T.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!