1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File or Directory Corrupt?? NOOOO!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by etherdose, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Heya folks...

I have a usb external enclosure which holds a 120 gig hard drive that I use for storage. I shut it off when I am done to save power, and just the other day I notice a file on it that is quite large isn't allowing me to open it any longer. It keeps saying that the 'file or folder is corrupt and unreadable'... Weird. I was just looking at the folder yesterday. Is there absolutely anything I can do to get that data back?? All the other files on that hard drive are fine. Why did it target out that file? *crys*

Any good help is welcome..

thanks!

2. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    *bump* next day

any ideas??? :-(

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Chkdsk might help. File corruption is very common if the drive is not disconnected through "Safely Remove", allowing disk cache dumping, before being turned off.

4. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    I tried using Chk disc. I selected 'check disc' and it asks me to restart for it to take effect. I left the usb drive on and after a restart, it doesn't initiate the check disc. Odd....

also...yes, I often didn't use the "safely remove" feature....I often just switched the drive off thinking it didn't make a difference.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it tells you to restart, then some file must be accessed on the drive, or maybe a defragmenter is monitoring it.

Try dismounting it. Go to Start > Run, and type:

cmd

In the command window, type:

chkdsk /x /f <driveletter>:

If that doesn't work, try it in Safe Mode (provided the drive shows up).

6. etherdose

etherdose Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Awesome..

I did it and it worked (and I didn't have to go into Safe Mode.) I greatly appreciate the help. Thank you!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good work. You were lucky.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!