Solved: File ownership (need help)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Linkmax

I just recently upgraded from XP Home to XP pro, and some files from my old account lost ownership, I know how to take ownership and set the permissions for each file. But, I was wondering if there was a way to take ownership of all the files on the computer without having to do each one individually? I can hightlight a few at once, but all the files I need to take ownership and full control over would take a month. Is there any way to do it to all of them at once???

You wouldn't like the results of taking ownership of all the files on the computer. You'd be lucky if you could boot.

The files that you probably want to work on are the ones in a particular profile in Documents and Settings. What seems to be the problem with applying the permissions to all child objects?

Linkmax

Well, I take ownership for one folder, then I have to do it for it's sub-folders and files inside it and so on, it would take me a long time just to do that, is there any way to do it to the folder and everything inside it at once?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Are you saying that when you take ownership of the folder in question, the permissions aren't propagated to the files/folders below? They should be.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
If you checked the box "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", then there shouldn't be an issue. If you followed the link above to the letter, there shouldn't be a problem.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Right on, I've done this a number of times, and the permissions always propagate for me. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online