1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File Server - Folder management

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Adazh, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adazh

Adazh Thread Starter

Hello All

I am configuring a file server for use by about 100users and I would like to know if there is a software available that will provide me with the following functionality;
    • Creation of user home folder with size limit to 5GB
    • Set permissions for access to said user home folders
    • Link in/ feed off the AD for the office

Please advise if there is anything out there that can help me accomplish this. I have 2TB of space to allocate and it seems the windows option is not really working well for me.

2. Sponsor

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

As far as I can remember all of that is builtin to Windows 2003 and above. The quota limits were limited in 2000 Server and the Folder permissions have been ther since the first version of windows that used NTFS for the file system.

4. techniquev3

techniquev3

As soon as a user is added in win server the user folders are automatically created. See the Users & Groups in active directory, the users folder location should be in the properties.

Also these will be secured to that user only, even admin should not have access by default except for backup.

5. Adazh

Adazh Thread Starter

Hello team

Is there a way to automate the process for all my users? Going at it for each user at a time is a mission.

Is there a script I can use for this purpose?? I am not that well versed in scripting.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You can apply a Quota template to all your users. Plenty of good tutorials on the Internet about that. Just google search.

7. Adazh

Adazh Thread Starter

Thanks Squashman.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059358