1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File sharing between 2 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crystal_s, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crystal_s

crystal_s Thread Starter

I have 2 computers that I want to be able to file share with.
    First is a HP dv5030 running windows XP media center edition it has a wireless connection to the internet and has options to set up a wireless network.
    Second computer is an older Dell PC running an upgraded version of WinXP from Win98 I believe. It connects to the internet via a wireless card, but does not have any options for a wireless network.
    My modem is a router & modem in one. I have no idea how to change any settings, but also has 4 ethernet ports in the back.

I want to move files from my laptop to the dell PC.

I have been unable to set up a wireless network via my laptop and get the dell PC to connect to/find it.

I have been unable to set up a network on the dell PC and get the laptop to find it.

Question 1: If I connect the Dell PC to the router/modem via ethernet cable will I be able to see the shared folders wirelessly via my laptop?

Question 2: If the answer to above is 'no' how do I transfer the files on my laptop to my desktop?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If both computers can access the internet through your modem/router then they are on the same Local Area Network (whether wired or wireless) and you can use the wizard to set up a Microsoft Workgroup ...

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista or 7.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

3. crystal_s

crystal_s Thread Starter

When I try to run the network setup wizard, it says my 'local area connection' realtek family fast ethernet NIC is disconnected.

I have no idea how to 'connect' this.

When I go to my 'system' and 'hardware' tab, it shows everything is installed and working.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said in your initial post that both PCs are using wireless connections, so I would expect your ethernet to be disconnected. If you disable it in Network Connections maybe the Network setup wizard won't complain, but you can tell it to just ignore other connections. You know you have the one working that you want.

5. crystal_s

crystal_s Thread Starter

Ok, so my modem had a setting that was 'off' for wireless networking. I turned it on. I created a wireless network, and saved the settings on my flash drive, then I took it to the other computers in the house, and back to my laptop.
    We are all connected to my 'samson' network, I changed the pc I was going to use for backup. I bought a 1TB backup drive and hooked it up to a computer running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. It seems to be the most user-friendly of my computers.
    I have shared the external hard drive, but I cannot see my shared computers through the other computers. I have set up a home network in the past, and it was not nearly this difficult. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

6. crystal_s

crystal_s Thread Starter

Nevermind...I just got it! I have a MS workgroup and also a workgroup. I found the computer I was looking for under just workgroup

Thanks for your help!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice