1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File Sharing between XP and ME

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shannyb, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shannyb

shannyb Thread Starter

I have an XP 'host' and a pc w/ ME that I want to share files with.
    We already share a wireless connection for our internet, so I know that we can file share, I got it set up 1/2 way..I could see the ME computer on my XP's network but I couldnt access it, so I am starting over... i just dont know where to input all this info to get it to work....... the ME said after putting in the flash drive that i made setting up the network that I needed to maually set up the wireless network settings.... which i printed, but havent a clue where to go in ME to enter the settings.......
    so, I have totally confused myself and need help
    facts: 1. belkin wireless G router on XP
    2. Wireless G USB network adapter on ME
    both work properly, internet access is OK.
    from here... how can I set it up , so that I can access the ME documents, and ME can only access my share documents
    thank you

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since both computers can access the Internet , and you can see the computers, then you already have a lot going for you. Don't need to do anything with the wireless adapters at all since that is the case.

Now for the XP computer accessing the ME one, you need to make sure file and print sharing is installed and then share something (files or printers) on the ME computer.

As far as ME accessing the documents on the XP Computer, make sure you have the same user account and password on the XP computer that is being used on the ME one, then right click on the directory you want to share and share it.

3. shannyb

shannyb Thread Starter

ok bob, thank you so much for replying this is driving me crazy lol
    i have the XP and the ME linked..(its slow but i think thats b/c the ME pc is old)
    so that is OK...dont know how i accomplished it but its done ... also on that note i want to make sure im not making our files vulnerable..the shared folders are all that are being shared and they arent top secret or anything but i want to know if just us can see them or if the 'world wide web' is involved
    now i have 1 more... its an XP home edition (my XP is PRO) and i can see it in my 'workgroup of computers' but i do not have access to it ive got to figure out how to get it from 1 place to the other
    1 issue may be: in setting up i have a network key, and i dont know where to enter this on the XP HE, on the ME i was able to enter it in the wireless utility, but on the XP HE it will not except more than 10 digits in the key area

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again, since both computers can access the Internet wirless, there is nothing that needs to change there.

5. shannyb

shannyb Thread Starter

alrighty, so ..... on the XP HE i can access files
    but on the XP Pro i still dont have access to the XP HE files
    wierd huh? Lol
    im going to reboot and see if that helps at all... there is 1 lil thing i am missing
    the XPHE is in the group but not the shared folder

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

How many computers do you have. For example, from the first post it sounded like just two - "I have an XP 'host' and a pc w/ ME"

Now it looks like three? XP Home Editiion, XP Pro and ME? Is that correct?

7. shannyb

shannyb Thread Starter

sorry, yeah, but the first post i was attempting to connect w/ the ME, b/c i knew that would be the most difficult.... however, I am going to mark this solved.... dont know that it will help anyone in the future, bc i have no idea how i fixed it, but i can now access all the shared folders that I need to from both the XPHE and the ME, so..thank you so much for your time and have a great day! :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice