1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File sharing problem..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ally31, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ally31

ally31 Thread Starter

Have 3 PC's - One Xp home - 2 XP PRO all networked on a workgroup.
    Trying to share some folders but having problems with the XP home machine.
    Have not used simple file sharing on the 'pro' machine as wanted more detailed control over the folders etc.. When trying to access the files from the 'home' machine to the 'pro' machine it askes for the user login and password. When entered it say files not accessible. The folder is shared and 'everyone' has share authority. Both machines have the guest account activated and both machines have the accounts relating to all users.
    Do I need to use simple file sharing on all machines? I set all permissions I can find to allow access but still will not allow.
    The firewall has also been disabled but made no difference. (Including Norton firewall!)
    Help...???
    Just to add - that the 'Pro' machines seem to share folders without difficulty.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create a user account on the "Pro" machine(s) with the same name/password as used to login to the XP-Home machine. As long as that account has access permissions to the shared files, you'll lose the password prompt.

3. ally31

ally31 Thread Starter

Thanks for advice - Done that - Now doesn't ask for the log in (Thank you) but does say access denied.
    Have been through and checked permissions.
    All the files that require sharing access are on 'pro1' The security permissions for the users on 'pro2' and the 'home' PC are identical yet the 'home' user gets the access denied message.!!
    I'm beginning to think it might be easier to use simple file sharing??

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is impossible to predict what 3rd party firewalls (including Norton) will block when 'disabled' or 'turned off.' Best to get Norton properly configured for the desired access or uninstall it and then clean up with the Norton Removal tool.

5. ally31

ally31 Thread Starter

Thanks 'TerryNet' - Removed Norton using removal tool and all now works. Excuse me if I don't share my views of Norton.! Thank you..

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, ally31. Please save some of your "views" for the malware developers who are the real culprits here. Malware is very good at disabling or removing security suites so all security programs have to dig themselves in deep and tight, making disengagement problematic. The registry corruption that occurs over time does not help either. Frankly, while I use only the Windows firewall and either Norton or AVG anti-virus, I'm pretty impressed that Norton provides that Removal Tool that seems to work so well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice