1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: File Sharing with Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by herc, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. herc

herc Thread Starter

File Sharing from Vista on a network
    I have set up a wireless home network using ADSL with the following components:

TrendNet TEW- 432 BRP Wireless Router Hard

Dell Desktop with Windows XP OS (Sevice Pack 3) wired to the router

IMac desktop with Leopard 10.5.7 OS

Compaq Presario Notebook with Vista Home Premium OS

I am able to share any folders or files from the Public Folder on the Vista machine with the other 2 computers on the network. If I create a new folder or sub folder anywhere but in the Public Folder I am unable to share it on either the iMac or the Dell. The error message is the following:

\\Brian-notebook\ new folder is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions

Since I am the administrator of the network I am at a loss as to what the problem can be. I have allowed permission for my name to access and change any files in the folder and I can see it in my network places. It is not a firewall problem since I can access any shared file in the Public folder. I have also elected to allow "Guest" to access this folder.

Any help in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Herc :confused:

2. moper

moper

Attached Files:

3. herc

herc Thread Starter

Hi moper,

I have password protection turned off and have right clicked the folder and set up sharing but still could not access the file.

I did however find the following from a Windows Vista Forum and must confess I had seen it before but had forgotten about it:

It seems that the XP machine uses the "guest" account, and Vista by default does not give permission to the guest account, even if you select sharing for "everyone".

Basically all you have to do is go to the properties of the folder you want to share, click on the security tab, add "guest", and give it access.

I tried this and it does work.

Thanks for your input and best regards,

Herc :cool:

4. moper

moper

Thanks for the update.

moper

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!