1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ~ file

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by xpjack, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpjack

xpjack Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but did not find anything related to my question in a quick perusal of the threads. Thanks in advance for any info. A file keeps appearing on my desktpop called "~". The properties say the type is a "~ file". I've seen this file appear for months, and have just been deleting it, but it keeps coming back, and I finally got irritated enough to try to find out what it is. A search of McAfee's site doesn't help (I use their virus scanner and it doesn't pick it up, so I guess it's not a virus). I opened the file with Disk Investigator and it appears that this file is collecting addresses from my email book. Anybody know what this thing is? A search in Windows Explorer showed it was located in several places. I deleted them all, I think, but Clean Disc Security could not erase them (it did not appear to recognize it as a file). Thanks again for your help.

Jack

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Welcome to TSG! :D

Check this out for more information
    http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

3. xpjack

xpjack Thread Starter

Thanks, Bassettman: That was fast and very useful. Glad to know it wasn't something I needed to worry about. I'll try the patch or the work-around. Thanks again.
    Jack

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice