1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dbailey18, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

:D When using this program to transfer ones files and settings to a usb hard drive does it just copy these settings or does it actually transfer your files and settings leaving your system inoperable? Also could this be a way to back up your system to restore ones settings ? I am working on the wifes system which has XP Home installed and am wanting to upgrade to XP Pro. without hopefully to much trouble and if I have to will do a clean install if it will get me there. Just wanted to try the least troublesome first and hopefully an inplace upgrade will work. Ran the upgrade report from disk and it came back clean.
    Haven't had any major problems with XP Home just would like to extend the support period from Microsoft. I guess I should back up all of her program files also . Any words of Wisdom will be welcomed !:)

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

The wizard creates an image of your files and settings . . most of them anyway. It does not copy passwords or thirdparty application files which are inside folders other than My Documents. The originals will remain on the system

See this for more information: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293118

3. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

simpswr ; Thank you for the info: not really concerned about passwords, third party software have lots of would hate to go through all that, Studio 8 etc. She meaning the wife would love to let me know who's boss if I made a mess of thing's but live and learn .

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

For the third party programs data, you will have to chase down the store location for each one and copy that folder to something removable

5. dbailey18

dbailey18 Thread Starter

Yeah ! I'm going to be busy I know !:eek:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!