Solved: files are shared but I cannot transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jackiefrost9

This problem started up after the last format of my computer. I have the usual folders shared on my computer which consists of my shared docs, music, DOD/CS:S maps and games. During LAN parties (or any other time) nobody can get files off my computer. They are shared just fine, they can see the files, but when we try to transfer it says "Cannot copy *filename* - access is denied. make sure the disk is not full or right protected and that the file is not currently in use." The file transfer bar will go like it is transferring, but when it is done I get that message. It doesn't make sense.
I have these two boxes checked under "sharing" in folder properties: "share this folder on the network" and "allow network users to change my files." All firewalls are off. This happens over 4 different routers. I have reconfigured the network many times.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused it is that I deleted the microsoft .net asp account that is installed with microsoft .net framework. would that do it? I haven't had the energy to re-install that yet. I deleted it so I wouldn't have to select an account on startup.

Anyway, if you have any input I would appreciate it because this is annoying.

Update:
And I have just determined that I can listen so some songs on media player over the network, but I can never transfer them between computers.

DOD/CS:S maps and games. During LAN parties (or any other time) nobody can get files off my computer.

Is this illegal copying? Forum rules state not allowed. http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

As for the problem, until the above is cleared up, do you have any firewall installed?

Jackiefrost9

I am well aware of the rules of this forum. These are MAPS that are being transferred. That is legal. Anyway no, no firewalls. As I stated in the first post.

Fair enough. I know. Don't the in-game tranfers take AGES to download?

Is it Norton firewall? Because I know that that doesn't actually diable everything.

Jackiefrost9

no the only firewall I have is the piece of crap windows firewall. not that it would effect it, but it was off anyway. and their firewalls were off also. and it was about 10 different people who were trying to get my files. I could get theirs, but they couldn't get mine.

Jackiefrost9

and yeah, I hate having to wait for them to download. Of course they don't take as long as they used to because we just got a gigabit switch.

I think it trickles the map to the clients anyway. Unless you setup a http server thent hey will download in game alot faster.

Try enabling guest account on the PC with the files on.

To logon an XP local user account automatically:
Start>Run> type (without ") "control userpasswords2"
Untick "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
Enter in the account you want to be logged in's password and username. Confirm passowrd (if any)

Jackiefrost9

That didn't work either.
Sorry I haven't posted back for a while.
Any other suggestions?

What are the local IP addresses of the two computers that are trying to communicate?

192.168.x.x? What are the rest of the numbers?

Jackiefrost9

the desktop is 192.168.2.2 and the computer i've been testing with is 192.168.2.19

and thank you crjdriver

Jackiefrost9

bump
and another thing, I just installed a program over the network and it worked perfectly.

It might be because the files ARE in use. I assume you're using the steam platform, so maybe you should open task manager and quit all files associated with half life and steam and try again.

Jackiefrost9

it doesn't just happen with steam though.
it happens with absolutely anything I try to transfer.
from word documents to mp3s to ISOs

Have you got a 3rd computer you can try it with? It can then be seen as a triangle and the problem can be narrowed down.

Sorry for my lack of response. Had no power for the last few days.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online