1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: files deleted, but no chg to available disk space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by davephil, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

winxp sp3, p4, 2gb. this is a first for me. about 3 weeks ago, I d/l 3 m/s office installer files that I thought I might use. they total around 3.5gb in size. Today, while in m/s explorer, I highlighted all 3, and deleted. got a 'not responding', had to end task. went back in, and 2 files were still there. needed to delete them one at a time (at no time did I get a msg about file too large for recycle bin). I then went into recycle bin to permanently delete, and none of the files were there; also I noticed that the disk space avail. on this drive was the same. avail. space should have increased by 3.5 gb, but it didn't.
    I went into my backup, and moved 1 of the installer files (.8gb) back into the same drive then deleted that. the file did go into the recycle bin, which I emptied. Again-no change to avail. disk space. avail space changes when I delete other files, why not these?? obviously the files are still on disk, somewhere; any ideas?? I tried ccleaner, and re-starting pc; no change. thanks.

2. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

update: seems that only executable files do this. I tried another .exe file from another drive, around 300gb, when moved to this drive avail space decreased 300mb, when I deleted it, avail. space stayed the same. my other drives don't have this problem.

3. davephil

davephil Thread Starter

well, it took about 20 minutes, but it seems all is well. The drive now reports correctly, and the avail. disk space has been increased consistent with the files deleted. I have NO idea as to why this is taking so long, but I guess I can mark this as solved. I will run diag. on the drive, see if that points to something.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!