1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Files have disappeared ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marcan, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

Hi there

have just noticed that files have dissapeared from my drive. These apear to be mostly MP3 files. Only folders seem to have been left. I have had them on my drive for a long time now. I have done a restore but still nothing.

Is it possible that my hard drive was near its maximum capacity and windows deleted automatically ? What could have went wrong?
    :confused:

Thanks for all views and replies in advance.

2. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

Nope, windows will tell you if its getting low, it wont delete anything.
    check for viruses or spyware.
    have you had to hard reboot (hold power button) your computer before the files went missing? or have you had any power outages in the area around the time?
    the power outages or reboots could mean you had a head crash, where the read head in the hard drive hitsthe platter and erases some things.
    thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_crash

3. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

Yes i have done a hard reboot a couple of times recently. I did a virus/spyware scan last week before i noticed the files had gone. I will do another.

I am going to search for a hard drive recovery program. I used to have one called handy recover so i will look for that and try from threre.

Regards. marcan

4. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

5. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

.. Well almost. I did manage to recover most of my files using a free version of HandyRecovery. I think you were right with the hard boot suggestion that led to the loss of the files. Thanks again. I will mark this post as solved on my next visit.

I have also decided to buy a new computer.

I should get it on Thursday. As it burns dvd i should be able to backup more fully and regualry and will try to keep back ups more up to date in the future. Thanks again.

Regards.
    Marcan.
    ;)

6. chilkotardis

chilkotardis

glad to have helped, who are you getting the computer from?
    ive had good experience with dell on the windows side, but id reccomend a mac to my grandmother because its so safe and easy to use.

7. marcan

marcan Thread Starter

Hi there. I did consider a mac only because i havent used one before. I was not intending on buying a new computer until i saw this offer which i thought sounded good. Check it out and let me know what you think. I am hoping to play some online games with it.

http://www.medion.de/md8820/uk/flash.html

At the moment i have a 4 year old Packard Bell i-xtreme which has served me well. It still works fine but is a bit dated.

The only thing is i willhave to buy a zyxel usb wifi dongle to go with my zyxel modem/ router. Should be able to pick one up for 20 pounds on ebay.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice