1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: files I download and save are missing when I look for them

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jaclynpaige, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaclynpaige

jaclynpaige Thread Starter

i frequently downloand images from Ancestry.com and save them to my pc. I had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall the operating system and now I download the file save it and when I go to the folder it isn't there.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What folder are you saving to? Will they download to your desktop if you choose that?

Have you searched the whole drive?

3. jaclynpaige

I have searched for *.jpg modified on todays date I tried saving to desktop and to my pictures and they are not there when I go back. However if I download the file again, when I am doing save as I can the first document I download in the folder view and it asks if I want to overwrite it. But when I go to desktop or My pictures the document (jpg) isnt there. I have checked to show hidden files in folder options.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

What are you using for a browser? Do you have any virtualization, or "safe surfing" add-ons in use? Are you using SandboxIE or any other sandboxing tool?

Also, try clicking on a blank spot on the desktop and then pressing F5 (refresh) to see if that shows anything.

Do you have the Windows updates installed and service pack 1?

5. jaclynpaige

Browser is IE 8

Updates install automatically and I have Service Pack 1.

Use Norton 360 not sure if that is what you mean my safe surfing add on No Sandbox.

I forgot to mention I could save these items before because I figured out what needed to be changed. However I had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall Windows and now whatever that setting was is gone. If I try to save to my third hard drive where I keep all my pictures I get the message I don't have rights to save there do I want to save to My Documents. I answer yes look in my documents and it is not there.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

As soon as you said "Norton", I figured "trouble".

Check its settings for anything related to workspace virtualization and browser identity protection.

What is your "safe surfing" add-on?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you look in the (default for IE) Downloads folder? It may be listed under "Favorites" if you are using the Navigation pane in Windows Explorer. The full path is C:\Users\<your account>\Downloads.

8. jaclynpaige

Not in the download folder in my users account.

I used Norton 360 before and as I said I was able to save in any folder so I know there is some settng that needs to be reset.

Not sure what a safe surfing add on is, explain if you don't mind

9. jaclynpaige

I don't see how Norton could be the cause since it lets me download and save. IT is just hidden and I assume that would have to be Windows 7.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I thought you said you had a safe surfing add-on. If not, forget it.

Are you sure that you searched your entire drive for files? Search for the name of one and don't put any restrictions on the dates.

Windows 7 doesn't hide downloads. But many security and safe-surfing programs create a sandbox where all the files go so that they can't infect the system.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you searching using the Search bar after clicking on Start? Or in Windows Explorer while at the root of the C drive?

12. jaclynpaige

If I search using the start menu it shows me only emails where the 1930 census is mentioned. If I search in explorer with COMPUTER highlighted it shows me all the previous 1930 census pages I have been able to save before I reinstalled windows.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have a clue why you are getting those results. If I search for *.jpg in the Start search bar I get headings DOCUMENTS, MUSIC, PICTURES and FILES with three .jpg files listed under each; clicking on Show more results gives me a list of (I assume all) the .jpg on my machine. Searching there (Start search bar) for a specific file, as Elvandil advised, finds that file.

14. jaclynpaige

If I go under tools internet options on IE and select security and uncheck protected mode I can download and save to anywhere and see the document so I guess it is a security setting in IE that prevents the download not sure how I got around it before unless I left protected mode off

15. jaclynpaige

So I have put Ancestry in my trusted sites and only removed protected mode for trusted sites and I am all set to go. Thank you both for helping.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice