1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Filesystem Repair

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Sparks2, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sparks2

Sparks2 Thread Starter

Running Fedora 9 here and my knee decided to turn off my box. Not good. Now it boots up and says I need to repair my filesystem. I've run fsck and get a "clean" on all my harddrive partitions but it is having a problem with /dev/mapper/disk which is a USB drive that isn't even on and thus shouldn't be mounted. It says it IS mounted and when I say no to "do you want to continue" it says "check aborted". I've tried saying yes but I get a similar result.

After I run fsck I issue a reboot command but it hangs trying to remove various files in /var/lock and /var/run. If I force a reboot it does the same thing like I haven't done anything at all.

Anyone have any ideas? Please?

2. Sparks2

Sparks2 Thread Starter

It appears the problem is that the system THINKS that /disk is mounted.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Can you boot up with a Linux Live CD and inspect the contents of your /etc/mtab on disk in the RH9 hard disk? If it tells you that the usb device is mounted, you can edit it out, and then try to reboot. Write down what you edit out, so you can restore it if need be.

-- Tom

4. Sparks2

Sparks2 Thread Starter

Yeah, I got it working this morning. I had to modify the fstab file to get everything to function. Thanks for your reply, though! Sometimes stepping away from the problem to figure it out.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Sparks2,

Well done! Believe it or not, I edited my comment from /etc/fstab to /etc/mtab, but I still think that is correct, even though you found and corrected the problem in /etc/fstab.

Ok, well, chalk that one up to the knee, eh?

-- Tom

6. Sparks2

Sparks2 Thread Starter

Yeah... I have to put a piece of tape over that thing.

Thanks for the assistance!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice