Solved: finding bios.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abmay

Hi,I feel like a real wally asking this question,I use XP pro and want to get into bios as every time my phone rings my computer starts up.
I know you press a button as puter boots up,but please which button?
Ty Bob K. :confused:

Hi Bob!

Is your system in stand by mode when the phone activates it? Or is it actually powered down (off)? If it's in stand by and the modem is answering the phone, then those settings are in your Device Manager in Windows, not in your BIOS.

As far as accessing your BIOS, different systems do it different ways. It may be the F8 key on your system. You'll have to be fast, though. Be VERY, VERY careful modifying settings in BIOS, especially if you're not familiar with how it works.

~Eric

abmay

Thanks Eric.
Your reply was very timely,my computer is/was turned off and when the phone rings it boots up by itself,this can be very annoying and as I've had the problem before with "Win98" I reckoned I can fix it in bios by clicking or unchecking the box....
"Wake on LAN" or "Power on Ring".

HERE's a webpage with the keyboard commands to access BIOS on different systems.

Keep us posted...

F8 usually just takes you into safe mode. To get into BIOS, you should try delete or escape. Better yet, do a google search for the model of computer you have plus getting into BIOS. I think VTEL's site should suffice.

As for the booting problem you are experiencing, slow down on the troubleshooting. Back up to the diagnosis stage. The first thing I would do if I were you would be search the forum. I could swear I've seen something similar posted on this forum. If you don't find anything, try google.

After that, post the problem to the forum exactly as you are experiencing it, rather than posting a question asking details for your intended solution. Someone more experienced in this problem might have a different solution for you.

Actually F8 takes you to a boot menu where you can choose windows boot options, or if you have multiple OSes installed.

Among the more common keys: Delete, Backspace, F1-F12,Enter, Spacebar.

abmay is on the right track.

The BIOS will contain the Wake on Lan or Wake on Ring etc, all should be set to "disabled" to fix this (common) problem.

Its not a setting anywhere in Windows, its not specific to any version of Windows, its solely controlled by the BIOS.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
And what this is doing in 2K/XP is beyond me, since this is a hardware issue.

abmay, if you'd post the make/model of your machine, this should be an easy fix.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've moved this to hardware, which is a more appropriate place for it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online