1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox 2.0.0.12 update not completing.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by aarhus2004, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered Thread Starter

Hello,

Only when the FF preloader is used at start-up I see a progress-bar for an update followed by the error message - see GIF.

Thanks.

Ben.

Attached Files:

2. hewee

hewee

I think I had that long ago getting a newer version of 1.5. I think I just clicked OK and it tried to open or it closed. I then click Firefox shortcut to open it and it went tru the updating thing or maybe just open. I do remember I thing went to check for updates again and did it all over again and all was OK after that.

Are you see this each time you open Firefox?
    Firefox 2.0.0.12 is the last version so are you trying to upgrade to Firefox 2.0.0.12 or from Firefox 2.0.0.12 to Firefox 2.0.0.13?

Don't know but try safe mode to see how it opens. If it opens OK then disable the Firefox-Extensions and open it again to see if all is OK. Then turn you Firefox-Extensions back on.
    You have in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox a install.log you can look at. On all the Firefox-Extensions you have will also be listed and more then once because it list installs so your have all version of the same Firefox-Extension listed but your have dates buy them and they will say...
    Install completed successfully
    or
    Install **FAILED** with error -203
    or
    Install **FAILED** with error -207
    or
    Install **FAILED** with error - with a code number.

But it will let you know what Extension failed.

3. aarhus2004

Hello Harry,

Thanks for the comprehensive response which I found interesting, informative and very useful.

The log indicates a 203 failure re a Real Networks plug-in. All else satisfactory. I installed the Real Player (plug-ins) and it plays fine. The log reflects this success.

Before reading your post I had uninstalled/reinstalled Preloader and this appears to have resolved the original issue. I switch to and fro between FF and IE6 And sometimes uncheck Preloader in my start-up User group. With no Preloader I had no problem it was only with Preloader checked for start-up that the error appeared.

Preloader seems to be in a category by itself, i.e it is neither an Add-on nor an Extension.

Appreciate, as always, your sharing from your vast store of know-how, Harry.(y)

All the best.

Ben.

4. hewee

hewee

Your welcome. Glad that all is OK now or OK without the Preloader.
    I don't have or see any Preloader but think I did when I install 1.5 a couple years back.
    Is that what loads something for Firefox at startup so that when you go to use Firefox it opens faster?

5. aarhus2004

Hello Harry,

Yes that's it. "Latest Build 366 - Final Notes (2005-02-09 14:09)" Available here. For me it makes all the difference between about 5 seconds and 1 second.

This morning too I see the download 2.0.0.13 is now on offer for Firefox too, I put it on hold until this is posted in I.E.6. Will edit this with result.

Cheers, Harry.

Ben.

EDIT1.

And there it is. Another failed download all same as in my first post this thread. I attach the 'Log' GIF it shows a success for 2.0.0.13. but the time of it makes no sense to me - anymore than does the error message.

I think an uninstall/reinstall of the entire Firefox set-up is indicated. What think you, Harry? In Help/About it shows I still have 2.0.0.12 and there is the added line in the Help "Apply Downloaded Update Now". See 'Apply' GIF.

Firefox updating seems to be more problematic than ever did I.E.6!

EDIT 2.

The uninstall is not clean. In Add/Remove after uninstalling Mozilla Firefox, MozBUps & Preloader, I found 33 entries across the registry under these 'Find' headings:
    mozilla, firefox, preloader, mozbackup, and in the following Keys: LM, Users, & Classes_Root. Not the best of uninstalls.

Ben.

EDIT 3. On the Real Player issue.

I use RealOne Player (from oldversion.com) for I.E.6. I do so because it gives me the least hassle (it is more controllable) than are the later versions.

However Mozilla Firefox requires a later version (Real Player 10.5). It calls for a "plug-in". In this case (where I have RealOne installed) the 'plug-in' turns out to be a complete install of the later (10.5) version. This is unacceptable to me and I have decided, that on the website I use regularly for listening (and which requires Real Player), I shall use I.E.6 for access.

Real Player, long notorious for its invasive installation, and in this version 10.5, after un-installing (in Add/Remove) left over 500 registry entries. I recommend the use of the phrase 'real player' in any search (find) for registry entries. Not just 'real' which can lead to the deletion of unrelated registry unless great care is taken to examine them. I have kept a back-up of the hand-deleted entries.

For information - just in case! :D

Ben.

Attached Files:

6. hewee

hewee

I know Netscape had it build in so it loads int memory so it all starts faster but I always unchecked it.

Darn wish I knew what was going on. The install log should help file places in the registry but I would only delete from there after you uninstall and reboot. Then only delete what your about after you also made a registry backup.
    Also if you do a clean install copy that log file to your desktop so your have it to look at because if it gets deleted then your have nothing to look at to help you find where everything was installed so you can check and clean up after that it left.

I have not tried it but what about starting firefox in the safe mode and doing a update.

I will not touch RealOne. Got to really look out cleaning the registry on RealOne too like you said because they will have places all over the registry.
    That is like cleaning up after shockwave and flash because there are listed all over but they are not all because of the install of those program but are because how other programs can use shockwave or flash.

7. aarhus2004

Hello Harry,

You may be right about Safe Mode but I re-installed all elements of Firefox - the browser and preloader first - and much to my surprise at that point all my settings and AdBlock Plus (and Easy lists) were installed without the need for my input. And I had done a very thorough un-install too including MozBups! So full marks to Firefox for making it easy. Though how I haven't a clue.

No more problem. And I went back to the older version of Real Player (RealOne) for use with I.E.6.

I guess Netscape is history now, Harry. Some of the older apps still place registry entries for it - but very few.

This thread by DNA_Uncut and its tips I have used. Very worthwhile.

Thanks for your interest and input, Harry.

Ben.

8. hewee

hewee

Good to hear all is well now. One of those things that go crazy and you can never find out what it is or how to fix it but then it works and really don't know why but it works like it should again.

Yep Netscape is no more. I keep Netscape 7 still because I can get some site to work when Firefox will not.
    Like on some that have music Firefox does nothing but Netscape will play the music. Thing is dealing with what plug ins are installed in what order because I got the same in both. Just more easy when I know that there is music on the page because I am sent a link in a email telling me to list to it other wise I would know.
    Then when you go to "Page Info" you think it is the same but you can see more in one then the other so I have gotten things in Netscape I did not see listed in Firefox.

9. aarhus2004

Harry, That is interesting indeed. I can imagine our having different browsers for different things, and for different reasons or personal quirks (or, in my case, sentimental attachment to I.E.!). Taking it a step further I can see the day when one browser will actually be capable of transformation, at a single click, into the browser of our choice. This assumes that new browsers will always come into the mix and will, when proven to be innovative/useful, form an update to this 'master' browser. Of course Bill Gates is also wondering about the future and has some great ideas about table tops and walls being huge computers which respond to our finger-tips. And no doubt some sceptics (aka skeptics) are already pouring out the reasons why computers so versatile are so bad for us!

It is easier for an older person to be positive about such things since I have yet to read of new versions of heaven and hell that involve pleasures and pains solely allied to computers. :D

Cheers, Harry.

Ben.

10. aarhus2004

Edit 3 above - an update:

Just out of curiosity I tried to access Real Player using Mozilla Firefox the other day and found to my astonishment it was prepared to accept my RealOne version.

I must admit the Fox has me foxed - so what's new - but I was pleased, and there will be no tortuous search for how-comes (or wringing of hands - or necks of foxes) this is one very friendly and adaptable critter. If you haven't tried it the only question is, why not?

(y)

11. hewee

hewee

Same goes with older versions of Netscape. My other drive I had I had Netscape 4 and 7. I like how things in the cache showed up because it showed all the file types till after AOL took over and everything if now just "file" so if you wanted anything from the cache you just go and look in the cache folder for what ever it was and it was easy to find. Or if you want get say all the images you looked at from one site without clicking and saving each one I would clear the cache and then go to the site and look at the images and then go to the cache and get them from there by using ACDsee image viewer.

One of those things that can happen. I got Firefox and Netscape and the very same plug-ins but at some site that have music on the web page it will not play in Firefox but it will play in Netscape. This has to do with what order these plugins are install and what plugin plays what type of file. Have not found out just how to fix it but did read about it a long time ago on how you can get the other plugin back. Like you got the default plugin Netscape and Firefox has but once you add another then it takes over.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice