1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox 2 starts as Firefox 3b5

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by techdawg667, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techdawg667

techdawg667 Thread Starter

Whenever I click on the shortcut for FF2 (NOT FF3) FF3 beta 5 starts anyways, even though i clicked on FF2. I installed FF3 in a completely different folder, and I checked the folder path for the shortcut links. FF2 is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox while FF3 is C:\Program Files\Mozilla Forefox 3 Beta 5. I don't think Windows should get that mixed up.

2. stantley

stantley

I have them both installed and I have no problem starting either one.

Create a new shortcut to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox firefox.exe.

3. techdawg667

the shortcut IS to that location. yet ff3 still starts instead.

4. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

You can't run Firefox 2 AND Firefox 3 at the same time. Were you trying to run Firefox 2 while Firefox 3 was already running to compare the two? I would reboot the machine just to make sure there are NO instances of Firefox running (or hung) and then see if Firefox 2 starts when you click the Firefox 2 icon.

Peace...

5. techdawg667

Oh maybe that was the problem. I was the two. It has been a couple of restarts since the problem started. Still the problem persists. Why can't I run 2 instances at once?

6. tomdkat

Looks like you can, with some effort. :)

Keep in mind, doing that is probably not supported by the Mozilla Developers so do that at your own risk. :)

Peace...

7. bozz

bozz

8. techdawg667

ok guys i fixed the problem. i had to go through a painful process of multiple uninstalls and reboots XD.

9. tomdkat

In the screenshot for step #4, the "-no-remote" option looks like it does the same thing as the setting of the environment variable in the instructions in the link I posted above.

Looks like disabling the "remote" functionality does the trick.

Peace...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice