1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox and flash player problems...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by GeneralOreo, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GeneralOreo

GeneralOreo Thread Starter

So out of nowhere I'm not able to view clips on youtube and get this message telling me that I either have javascript turned off or need to install the latest flash player.

I don't have javascript turned off and already installed the latest flash player, which I did again after getting that message.

The problem doesn't go away after the reinstall, and I just forget about it.

Then one day everything seems just fine, I can play any clip on youtube.

I breath a sigh of relief and continue my sad life.

But just now it returned. Again, out of nowhere. I didn't change anything or uninstall any program. I restarted and it's still here.

What's going on? :(

2. hewee

hewee

If the javascript is turn on in the Firefox setting then it should work.
    But if you have the NoScript add-on your have to give the site rights.

Also if you changed anything else like your firewall setting etc then it may be blocking things.
    I used Zone Alarm for years but got Online Armor and was giving to login into a site all the time to find out I had to put mark the site as trusted or it would not keep the password cookie because it was a session cookie. But changing the site to trusted the password cookie was not a session cookie so trouble was fixed.

3. GeneralOreo

I don't have that NoScript add-on and didn't change any firewall settings.

There really isn't any difference between the time that youtube was working and the time that it isn't - all I do on this laptop is browse the web mostly and for the last few days I haven't changed anything on it.

4. hewee

hewee

Well don't know what it may be if you never had anything changed.
    On XP the flash files are in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder.
    For Netscape and Firefox and I think SeaMonkey it is the NPSWF32.dll that you need.
    Now there are programs or add-ons that disable the flash but if you not install any then you should not have any unless it was added to a program you already have and you just don't know about it.
    Look in the folder and see if it still says NPSWF32.dll because some programs that disable it do so by renaming it to NPSWF32.dll.old.
    If you see the file and the name has changed then change it back to NPSWF32.dll. But if it gets changed back again your need to find out what program is doing it.
    You install any add blocking programs because they can block flash ads and maybe all flash.

5. GeneralOreo

This is weird... I just checked the installed programs list and I didn't have the flash player installed. There's no way I accidentally uninstalled a program, that's just ridiculous. o_O

I still have the installer on my desktop, just now I installed it again and everything went back to normal... for now. -_-;

6. hewee

hewee

Good to hear you got it working again.

Now remember even if you have the flash installed or other programs like QT or WPM that play at web sites most will want you to have the java script running so it will load the player or movie.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice