1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox and IE will not load websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Fritz126, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fritz126

Fritz126 Thread Starter

Hello, I am curethritis running Windows 8 On a 6-month old Toshiba Satellite. Everything was fine until two days ago when After a Firefox update the browser stopped loading any websites. Thinking something went wrong with the update I uninstalled Firefox, and opened IE to download it again. This is when I realized IE was having the same issue.

To clarify, my wifi connection is fine. Outlook and other web-based programs are working fine. I pinged Google.com through Command Prompt, and the results indicate a good connection to the Internet (average response 17ms). Also, dropbox is updating without any problem.

As soon as I am able to load and run TSG SysInfo I will post the results.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Could be a firewall or security suite blocking your browsers. Or may need the following ...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. Fritz126

Fritz126 Thread Starter

Performed the operations above, and rebooted. IE appears to be working properly again.

Thank you!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Your careful explanation of what was working and what wasn't made diagnosis of the probable cause pretty easy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice