1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox and sponsored links

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by StalkerB, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StalkerB

StalkerB Thread Starter

Whilst Firefox is very clever and helps stupid people not accidentally click on sponsored links, sometimes I would quite like to click on one, but can't.

So, speaking of stupid people, what do I have to disable to allow things like googleadservices?

It may be some other software I have preventing me from doing so, but I can click on it in IE.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi StalkerB,

One thing you might try is to use the Tools pull-down, select Options, and click on the left-hand panel for Web Features. Then add www,googleadservices.com to the Allowed Sites for Block Popup Windows.

-- Tom

3. StalkerB

StalkerB Thread Starter

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi StalkerB,

You can try: ping www.googleadservices.(something) from a command window or add it to the Allowed Sites - whatever the (something)? is.

-- Tom

5. StalkerB

StalkerB Thread Starter

I can ping it fine. Allowed the sites in both allowed sites and pop-up but still get

"The connection was refused when trying to contact www.googleadservices.com."

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi StalkerB,

Are you running a proxy or some other software or do you have a Hosts file that has an entry in it such as?:
    127.0.0.1 www.googleadservices.com

If so, you simply need to edit the Hosts file to:
    #127.0.0.1 www.googleadservices.com

and that should make it work if there are no other barriers.

-- Tom

7. StalkerB

StalkerB Thread Starter

Not behing a proxy.

Found a sample hosts file, amended it to have the # before the google ones, but when I tried to save it said that the directory doesn't exist, then gets me to save it as a text file, which seems to do nothing.

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

You need to allow hidden files/directories to be listed, hopefully you have Administrator rights in your account.

To display hidden files and folders
    Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click Folder Options.
    On the View tab, under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Notes from Help and Support Service:

Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not typical items. Usually, hidden files are program or system files that should not be deleted or changed. To display other hidden files, clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
    If you know the name of a hidden file or folder, you can search for it. For more information, click Related Topics.
    If you want to see all file name extensions, clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box.

-- Tom

9. StalkerB

StalkerB Thread Starter

Did that. No new files showing up.

I'm on XP pro, though my hosts files is under C:\windows rather than C:\winnt. Dunno if that's an issue, but I googled hosts files earlier and it said XP home had C:\WINDOWS and Pro had C:\winnt.

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi StalkerB,

The hosts file for WinXP Pro is located in:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Don't forget to set the read-only property (right-click select Properties) and click on Apply, then Ok after you check the box.

-- Tom

11. StalkerB

StalkerB Thread Starter

Heh heh. Yeah I'm an idiot. Read only. Doh.

Fixed. Awesome. Thanks.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/414266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice