1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox causing problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tlh99, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

My brother is using windows XP now with Firefox. A friend suggested using Firefox instead of IE and installed it saying he could use either browser. IE no longer responded so he had tech from ISP camera PC and he said he could not see why it did not work so must not be compatible with Firefox and uninstalled IE. Did not like Firefox so tried several times to reinstall IE and it will not work. Also emails that require PPS viewer and Microsoft Word are not responding with Firefox and asks to go to control panel and designate where to open them. Emails with .eml do same thing. Can IE be reinstalled to work or did "friend" corrupt something?

TLH

2. Sponsor

3. ETech7

ETech7

Try to go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components > check-mark Internet Explorer.

Are you sure that your tech told you IE was not compatible with Firefox?

4. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

Thanks-That is what tech at ISP said but he probably has no more knowledge about computers than my brother or myself. LOL As said, I am not too smart so should I have him download IE again for it is no longer there and then go to add/remove and look for Windows Components? As now, there is no heading under Add/Remove for Windows Components. IE had a "fix It" and he used that before uninstalling but he did not do anything.
    tlh

5. ETech7

ETech7

Are you saying that when you go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, there is no option on the left hand side of the window saying Add/Remove Windows Components? Check again please.

You don't need to download IE, it comes with Windows. You just need to re enable it again.

6. 87654321

Why can't you go to tools>options>connections and set IE as the default browser?

7. ETech7

ETech7

I think because it was disabled/removed

8. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

Sorry, did not look far enough to left and windows components is there. When I clicked on it I got the message-Setup Library OCMSN.dll could not be loaded or function Oc entry could not be found. Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is Ox7e. I googled download for the OCMSN.dll but all the sites wanted me run their scan to fix first before I could get download the .dll and after they found numerous errors they wanted $$ to repair. I found one site where I could get the .dll from the Windows XP disc but he has no disc. It is a Dell computer, With my Dell I have a reinstallation CD for XP home edition service pack 2 and a CD for service pack 3 if they would be of any value but from I read on google if we could just download the .dll it would be easier for us that have little knowledge.
    You are correct ETech7 IE was removed.
    tlh99

9. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You can download IE 8 directly from Microsoft. It's a free download.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43
    The problems with Firefox sound like it wasn't set as default browser and also didn't have the applications needed for certain file types properly set.

You can indeed have more than one browser and they coexist quite well. At least the ISP tech got one thing right.:D

10. tlh99

tlh99 Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help but it is time I call in the pros. IE is not responding.

tlh99

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091424