1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox download hid my ie8

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Toobusy, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toobusy

Toobusy Thread Starter

I have windows xp.

To compare browsers, I decided to download Firefox 3.6.3. I already had Internet Explorer 8 (ie8) on my computer.

First thing that happened after Firefox download was complete is that I noticed the blue E desktop icon was now the Firefox Icon with "internet explorer) underneath it. I also had a new Firefox Icon. Both icons took me to Firefox, though one was labled ie8.

I went into to my start menu and ie 8 was now missing and in the pinned start area, it was gone as well and replaced by Firefox. I then went to my C drive and found Internet Explorer folder until Program Files but no .exe file to try to run ie8 or create a new desktop icon with. So now I could no longer launch ie8. It was also missing from my add/remove program files list.

So, I go to microsoft and download ie8 again. I installed it and went thru the screens to the point it said to restart. I restarted the computer and ie8 was still not there. Now however, it is in my add/remove program files but not in my start menu or any desktop icon and I can't find the .exe file to try running it and creating a new desktop icon.

What did Firefox do to my ie8? I looked on the net for people with the same problem but could not find anyone who had this happen. It's as if Firefox removed or hid my ie8 and now won't let me put it back on.

Any ideas/help?

Thanks...

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Search your HD for iexplore.exe

3. Toobusy

Toobusy Thread Starter

Found iexplorer.exe.mui but is that the same thing? It's under C:\program files\internet explorer That's all it found other than updates.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. Toobusy

Toobusy Thread Starter

This is so frustrating. Before I downloaded Firefox tonight, I had a perfectly good working ie8 program. How on earth Firefox could have done this is beyond me.

It's even harder to deal with because I can not download a new copy either. It installs and then doesn't show up anywhere.

6. Toobusy

Toobusy Thread Starter

Well, took out all traces of explorer, ran ccleaner and a registry editor and then reinstalled. FINALLY found the exe file and got my desktop icon back. Now to get rid of Firefox that started this all.

Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice