1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox & IE wont display some pages anymore

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by drummerguy101, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drummerguy101

drummerguy101 Thread Starter

Firefox version = 2.0.0.17
    IE version = 7.0.5730.11
    AOL version = 9
    OS = Windows XP

I have been using AOL for ages but it kept cutting me off so i moved onto Firefox & occasionally, IE 7. They have both been working fine until now,
    i can no longer log into mail.live.com (the page opens but the graphics dont load and when I try to log in nothing happens for ages and then it says:
    "The connection has timed out, The server at bl131w.blu131.mail.live.com is taking too long to respond. "

another site that suddenly wont display is www.wwe.com

however, they WILL display if i use the AOL 9 software.

I have tried using restore points but it makes no difference although i cant go back very far because all of them except "october 2008" have disappeared for some reason and i dont know why!)

whats happened, how can i get them working again?

2. techychick

techychick

Do your clear your browser(s) cache/cookies on a regular basis?

Can also try Start>Run>type in- ipconfig /flushdns

3. Flying_Scotsman

Flying_Scotsman

Hi Folks,

I have had a similar experience.

- I have two PC's (One XP / One Vista) set up on a LAN.
    - One is Wireless one is connected to the router

As of yesterday I can no longer access some sites (Eg. Hotmail / Yahoo Mail / Facebook / Bebo) using IE7 or Firefox. The sites appear to load and sometimes I get stripped down versions of the site but they do not run properly. AOL 9 sometimes runs them ok but not always.

Internet / Network settings have not been changed and as far as I can see this may be a problem with the AOL DNS server. I have emailed AOL Tech Support to ask if this is the problem.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome! - It is however comforting to see I am not the only one having this problem.

Regards

4. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

It seems to be a problem with AOL's DNS as I have now seen 4 of these posts just today and they are all from people using AOL.

Suggestions

1) Get on the phone to AOL tech support and get them to sort it out.

2) get away from AOL and get a reliable UK based ISP, such as BT or Freedom2surf

5. drummerguy101

drummerguy101 Thread Starter

yes i always clear them before turning of my PC but i've just tried the ipconfig /flushdns thingy and everything seems to work fine now, I can read my E-mail in firefox again *woo* :)
    thanks!

6. GardenLibrarian

GardenLibrarian

Hi Everyone,

I thought I had solved a problem which I've been experiencing with my Packard Bell laptop (running Vista), but sadly, it has now returned and my previous 'fix' has not yielded results! Briefly, I can connect to the internet, but neither the IE nor Mozilla Firefox browsers can display any website pages. The internet connection is clearly working as it is possible to download updates even though the browsers can't display the websites. I have tried all the advice offered by Firefox - including installing SpybotS&D on the Vista machine. However, Spybot needs to download files before scanning and is unable to do so - presumably because that process requires displaying some webpages??!!!

For more details, see also my posts to Doug1234 and to Batboy on Sept 29th. Any words of advice would be most welcome!

Many thanks,
    GardenLibrarian

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice