1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox -- Maintenanceservice_Installer.exe--what the heck is this? FX porta

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jrx10, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

I decided to DL the latest FX portable from portableapps.com. The link from portableapps.com was to a Source Forge server. After DLing, I continued over to the Mozilla site to DL the latest NoScript version. After configuring FX Options, About:config, NoScript etc, I decided to delete the original FX portable folder (I had copied the complete FX folder to my desktop in the LUA ) (xp) in order to configure the browser to my taste). The original folder wouldn't delete and my MSE (the AV on this image) stopped 5 times. It appears it wouldn't delete because of the Firefox Maintenanceservice_Installer.exe, It would just hang. So finally I cut and pasted the Maintenanceservice_installer.exe out of the FX portable folder to a new folder on the LUA desktop and then I was able to delete the original FX portable folder (not configured). With this FX maintenanceservice_installer alone in a separate folder.
    I tried to scan this maintenanceservice_installer.exe with MSE, and MSE just hung. I finally got this folder with this FX maintenanceservice_installer.exe to delete, and then when using Ccleaner Portable to empty the recycle bin, it wouldn't empty it and also became hung on the exe file (finally got it to delete out of the recycle bin with Comodo system cleaner. I then cut this FX maintenanceservice_installer.exe out of the configured FX portable on my desktop and had a helluva time deleting it as well. With the MSE out of the blue shutting down 5 times or more (which has never happened before and I saved the error codes from the event viewer and took screenshots of MSE [faulting module was MpSvc.dll] and Ccleaner hanging with this exe file) I'll probably just restore my OS this weekend from a previous image.
    The DLs looked normal from Source Forge and Mozilla which seemed to be the port 443-- ip 68.87 etc etc. but I had to open up an akamai sever at 23 something in order to get the new noscript version
    I just wondered what this FX maintenanceservice_installer.exe is, and if anyone has had this problem with the new version of FX portable 17.0.1. BTW FX seems to work ok w/o it (maintenanceservice_installer.exe) in the app/FX folder of the portable version.

2. hewee

hewee

You know I use Pale Moon.

Pale Moon project: A custom-built and optimized Firefox-based browser for Windows

They have a Pale Moon Portable also and they are the simple zip files you unzip and click the program like a Portable should should be.

http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml

I also got the Firefox portable from portableapps.com back when it was Firefox 3.x and have updated it and now its version 17.0.1. But it's still in the same folder and it has a "maintenanceservice_installer" and a "maintenanceservice" file in C:\Program Files\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox folder that are dated 12/03/2012 so guess that was the 17.0.1 update.
    But all has worked OK.
    I just like Pale Moon better.

3. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

hewee: thx for the info on pale moon. If it has a similar about:config menu as FX where you can take out all the crap links (website URLs) and can customize it with a few extensions like NoScript and refcontrol then I have no problem in giving it a try since FX (imo) is getting way out of control with sort of ''' embedding crap stuff in their browser that you really don't need such as a bunch of search engines that can just as easily be put in the favs toolbar when needed.
    This whole deal with the maintenanceservice_installer is quite strange, and imo has all the symptoms of of some kind of malware that may have replaced this supposedly legit file. Before I reinstall my OS from image on this hard drive, I may DL it again this weekend (since I've already dumped this exe file). scan it again with MSE, as well as MBAM, SAS, and a couple of on-demand AVs that I keep updated, to see if they detect anything, and then delete it to see if I have the same problems in dumping it from the recycle bin.
    The only reason that I decided to update FX portable in the 1st place, is that the one I'm using now takes forever to "clear everything" and also it takes a longtime to shutdown, which is the only way I can get it to completely drop any previous connections. I ran this new version the other night in a sandbox, and it seems to "clear everything" pretty quickly and shutdown and restart much faster than the older version(s), and according to my firewall, the previous connections disappear almost immediately, but I haven't taken the time to remove (and add) some of the listings to about:config that I have in the previous versions. I also use Opera portable and Iron portable some, but I use FX the most, primarily because of NoScript.

4. hewee

hewee

You're welcome jrx10.

What I hate and it effects pale moon also is add-ons are killed to easy adter Firefox 3.x where before that if a update was made you get a add-on update in the next week or so. But the changes they make now are whole version number changes so are bigger changes.
    One add-in that does not work on pale moon I liked is KeyScrambler.
    http://www.qfxsoftware.com/

I have Firefox 20.0.20, Firefox portable 17.0.1.
    Pale Moon 3.6.32 and Pale Moon portable 3.6.32 and Pale Moon portable 15.3.2.

You find that Firefox upgrades faster or Pale Moon does not make all upgrades.
    They keep the best versions around Pale Moon 3.6.32 was around a long time and taken down the pass couple months. http://www.palemoon.org/download-v3.shtml

I like keeping more then one version around and at times a older version will work better getting a website to work then a newer version.

I also found out this pass week and not sure when it happen bit guess Pale Moon 15.3.1 or 15.3.2. Firefox portable I went from 3.x to 17.x so guess that it changed in the same version.
    The change was the was add-ons are in the extensions folder with a dolder for each extension.
    Now after you get an update for one of the extensions deleted that extensions folder with just one .xpi file for that extension.

I have some extensions that you can not download anymore and some that you can't install on the newer versions of Firefox or Pale Moon but have gotten to work by copy and paste from other extensions folders.
    Like {03B08592-E5B4-45ff-A0BE-C1D975458688} I got to work. Looking at the file like this you got know way to know but this is a folder so you can look around and see {03B08592-E5B4-45ff-A0BE-C1D975458688} is toolbar buttons 1.0 that is no longer around. But you can get from the maker here still. http://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/
    Not sure what all buttons I would miss but it seems to be the only add-on that have an button for the profile folder so I like it just for that one toolbar button.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice