1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox spontaneously closing when opening certain web page

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cloudburst7, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cloudburst7

cloudburst7 Thread Starter

Hi

The title says it all really - several times this morning I've attempted to open this website

www.elcorteingles.es

and each time FF has closed.

It's not - or shouldn't be - a dodgy site - it's the site of a large Spanish dept store, and one I use fairly regularly. It was working fine yesterday.

Is there something wrong with the site, or with Firefox? Surely it can't be my PC if it only happens on one site?

2. TOGG

TOGG

That site opens fine for me with Opera so, unless it has suddenly been added to a Firefox blacklist, there seems no reason why it shouldn't work. I've also tried it with the latest version of Firefox (3.0.3) and it opened without any problems.

I'm not sure what specific issues there could be with your computer because an inability to contact a single site may involve things like your Hosts file, but that would require you, or some malware, to have added the site's URL to the Hosts file.

3. cloudburst7

Thanks

I opened that site fine in opera but I still have the same problem with FF.

I uninstalled FF and downloaded the new version, but it's still giving the same problem.

I have seen a few suggested solutions online, will let you know how I get on.

4. cloudburst7

5. cloudburst7

Following the advice given on that pcadvisor forum (I had to open it in opera to read it) I can now open that same thread in FF; but still not the other page.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I can open both in Firefox V3.0.3. What version of Firefox are you using?

7. cloudburst7

I updated this morning to 3.0.3

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Updated from which version?

9. cloudburst7

I can't say for sure, but I usually update every time there's a new one available, so presumably the last available.

The same problem occured/is occurring with both.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I was just checking to see if you just updated from V2 to V3, but it seems unlikely.

Have you cleared your cache? If the site updated and you have some old pages cached you may have some incompatibilities.

11. cloudburst7

Good suggestion - I just tried it but unfortunately it hasn't helped.

12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I am out of ideas.

I can display both of these; however, I do run the NoScript and AdBlockPlus extensions, so perhaps there is something on those sites that I am simply not seeing.

13. cloudburst7

Hello and thanks again for all the advice - the problem is solved I think.

I had already deleted my FF profiles without success, but I ran a Kaspersky online overnight and it found some "suspicious" files in Thunderbird profiles.

I deleted those and it seems to have solved the problem - at least based on that one particular site. It may or may not be coincidence, fingers crossed.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice