1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox stepped out of the lovely dark!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by verbalista, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. verbalista

verbalista Thread Starter

Took some security updates, also updated my own security suite (CA Internet Security), now my Firefox browser is using it's default theme. I tried going into the add-ons and telling Firefox to use either PitchDark or MidnightFox (my favorite), no luck. I tried installing them over again, the installation failed. I tried disabling my CA security suite (both firewall and anti-virus modules), still looking at this insipid pale blue screen.
    I hope someone can help me discover the glitch..
    Thanks in advance,
    Shoshana

2. verbalista

P.S. I tried a system restore, having made a restore point before I installed the updates, to no avail. So, I undid the restore, and now I think the problem is in some Firefox forced update. I'm running 3.04

Have been persevering, now have been able to download and use AeroFox. It works, I'm happy with it, but still would like to know why I couldn't use my other two themes, they claim to work with this version of Firefox.

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I don't have an answer for you, but I've found that when the problem is that specific, it's often helpful to contact the maker of the program. I'd go to the homepage for those skins, they often will give contact info or someplace to leave comments about glitches and problems. You may even find that there may be a mention of this if it was indeed an upgrade issue.

4. verbalista

Thanks, I hadn't thought of contacting the creator of MidnightFox, I think he/she will know, or at least know whom to ask. I'm marking this one solved!

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You might have suffered corruption of the files that store extension information.
    In the Profile folder, with Firefox closed, rename the following files:

extensions.rdf to extensionsold.rdf
    extensions.ini to extensionsold.ini
    extensions.cache to extensionsold.cache

New ones will be generated when you open Firefox.
    Try installing the Themes again.
    You might want to try manually installing them, rather than letting the Add-ons site do it.
    Right click the "Add to Firefox" button and select "Save Link as..." to download the installation file.
    Then drag the installation file to the Add-ons window to install it.

6. verbalista

Thanks, Throoper, I have saved the info you posted and will try it, it would be nice to have my MidnightFox back.
    Can't believe you gave me this info after I marked the thread solved, so grateful.

7. verbalista

That worked perfectly!! I even added some dark themes, now that I have PitchDark again, I'm just thrilled, it feels like coming home.

You sure know your stuff!!
    Thanks, Throoper.

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You're welcome. (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769651

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice