1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: FireFox Tab nuisance

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by wolfworx, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I use FireFox 27.0.1 on my computer running Win 7 Home Premium SP1. Lately I have noticed when I first click on any type of site page selection, instead or responding to my selection a new tab is opened instead. The new tab message suggest things like my browser is out of date (it is not), I need a video update (not needed), or some type of advertisement.

I can simply ignore the message and close the tab, make my selection again and get the selection result I want. This has become annoying.:mad:

I have not noticed this problem with ie. Could this be due to some Ad-On in FireFox? A virus scan does not show any problem.

Another related thing. I have noticed several sites open a half dozen tabs or more while getting to the final page destination, leaving the trail of the tabbed pages getting you there still open. Seems in the past you could get to your desired location much more directly. Any thoughts on this?

2. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

I upgraded to Firefox 28. The problem is somewhat improved, but occasionally clicking on a selection still opens an unwanted tab. I must close the tab and repeat my selection to get to the place where I want to go. No such problem with FireFox on my Win XP machine.

3. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You select something in a drop-down box, and it opens a new tab? What site? Not sure what you mean by "selection". I think specific site examples might help especially if you've scanned for viruses and malware and everything is clean.

4. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

OK. Suppose I open a site, say Netflix. I peruse the movie selection and click on one to select it. Normally, this would open the movie, but instead, a new tab opens with a message such as one telling me that my browser, FireFox is out of date. It is NOT out of date. I close the tab and again make my selection. Things now proceed normally, usually for the rest of the session.

I have found similar problems with other sites. First click opens an unwanted tab, although the message is not always the same, I close the tab and usually that ends unwanted tabs popping up. This is particularly puzzling since the problem does not occur in my Win XP machine running FoxPro.

5. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If known clean sites like Netflix don't work properly, I think your computer has been compromised.

6. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for sticking with me on this, but I think the problem is with FireFox, not the computer. First, I get a clean bill of health from MSE and Norton AV previously. Second, I get no such problem with IE and although I do not have Chrome on this system to try, I'll bet there will be no problem there as well. I suppose I could completely delete and reinstall FireFox since my upgrade from ver. 27 to ver. 28 may have just duplicated the problem.

Again the problem is exclusive to FireFox. Could it be an ad-on? I do not see a suspicious one.

7. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Start Firefox in safe mode and find out. That disables all add-ons.

8. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Well, although the problem is intermittent, I do not get the problem with add-ons disabled -- at least after a couple of tries.

Here is the list:

Adobe Acrobat
    Google update
    McAfee Security Scanner
    RealDownloader Plugin
    Real Networks RealDownloader Chrome Background extension Plug-In
    Real Networks RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
    Real Networks RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
    RealPlayer Download Plugin
    RealPlayer G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
    Shockwave Flash
    Silverlight Plug-In 12.0.0.77
    Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.30214.0
    ?? Why two Silverlight?
    VLC Web Plugin 2.0.0.99
    ??? should be updated?

How many of these are really needed and which acn I remove?

9. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

So I just set all of my add-ons to "never activate". The problem of unasked for tab pop ups still happen. Also, I noticed occasional jump-to links occur in text like gearshiftgearshift very odd, but when I restart in Safe Mode with add-ons disabled, all the oddities go away and the text returns to simply "gearshift" with no doubleword and no link.. Is "never activate" different from "add-ons disabled"?

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You're mixing up 2 different things, add-ons and plug-ins.
    Click Tools>Add-ons>Extensions on the left. That will display all add-ons on the right.
    Go down the list on the right and click Disable on each one (so all are Disabled) and restart Firefox.
    If the problem is gone, Enable each, one at a time, and restart Firefox between each until you find the one that's causing the problem.

11. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

You nailed it. "Extensions" is where I should have disabled the add-ons. That appears to have been the root of the problem. Thanks. I will mark this solved!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1121945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice