1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firefox-where or where and why or why

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mom2inky, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

can't wrap brain around..all of a sudden can't open Firefox..zip squat. removed, reinstalled, prayed..zip. tried to open from everywhere. ran all scans, things ok. oh, when i reinstalled, did the launch now thing..zip. all else doing great, bit slow in opening things but.. have xp, what else do you need to know about pc? Please help! I just love Firefox!:mad: :confused: :( thanks to all!

2. KeithKman

KeithKman

Have you tried doing a system restore to an earlier date when FF was running with no problems?

3. Augie65

Augie65

Did this just began or has it never worked? You can try opening Firefox in safe mode.
    Start> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode). If it opens, then it is an extension or theme effecting Firefox.
    You can also create a new profile in case your old profile is corrupt. When you uninstall Firefox, your profile is not deleted.

4. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

thanks KeithKman...restore did not work; Augie65 will create a new profile. Also when i clicked on the link in TB, nothing happened..had to cut/paste in IE, hope it can be fixed with new profile..will check back. thanks again!

5. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

well...start, run typed in firefox.exe -profilemanager
    nothing. do have profiles' file, but...how do you do the ff safe mode thing and what will happen? tks:confused: :confused:

6. Augie65

Augie65

Try this to open the profile manager.
    Start> Run> type:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profilemanager
    then click OK.
    This to open safe mode.
    Start> Run> type:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
    then OK.
    If the safe mode link isn't on your start menu, the install may corrupted. Mine is on the start menu: Start> All Programs> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode)
    In safe mode a windows will open like the attachment. Just click continue in Safe Mode.This starts Firefox without any extensions and with the default theme. If Firefox works ok, then it is an extension or theme effecting it.

Attached Files:

7. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

do believe i found the problem; broke down your last instructions (thanks much). Did start, run c:\Program Files\ and it took me to the program files. then i added and
    c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ and it opened Mozilla Firefox...HOWEVER, when i added the firefox.exe yada yada.....zip happened. so i did a search in the mozilla ff file for firefox.exe and it is not there. so since i reinstalled it why is it not there..should i reinstall again and try to ck the profile/make a new one or?? I think i am having pc withdrawals...:D thanks again and again!

8. Augie65

Augie65

Close Firefox. Open Task Manager (right click taskbar and select task manager) on Applications tab, make sure that Firefox is not running.
    See if you can find your profile folder.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    Application Data is a hidden folder. In windows explorer, click on Tools> Folder Options> View tab, click the radio button: Show hidden files and folders then hit Apply and OK.
    Open the Profiles folder find the bookmarks.html file right click and select copy. Then open My Documents or where ever you want to save the copy of the file, right click and select Paste.
    Then go to Control Panel and uninstall Firefox. Next, go to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Mozilla and delete the Firefox folder.
    Then:
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and delete it and all of its contents.
    Download and reinstall Firefox and see if it works. If it works, you can replace your saved bookmarks.html file with the one in the new profile folder.

9. mom2inky

mom2inky Thread Starter

I SO LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!!! JUST LOVE LOVE YOU!!!!! as always techsupportguy.com is THE BEST!!! Again..I will tell my family, friends about your site!!!

did this happen because the profile was corrupt? just thought, i was in training the other day for hospice volunteer and the trainer, and students didn't know about ff...told them then and will again..can't believe a department of the hospital is not using Firefox!! trust me i will help them change and as their only support site will be Techsupportguy.com!

thank you so much..another, well all are, but really enjoy the forum "civilized debate"! what a great way to start the day! ps i have kept all the notes and will back up my profile, etc. :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. Augie65

Augie65

You are very welcome.:) Glad you got it solved.
    You can mark this solved from the thread tools at the top of post. Then, choose Mark Thread Solved so others with this problem will be helped.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice