Solved: Firewall Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

John Burns

I have two personal computers running Windows XP SP2 on a wireless home network using a Linksys Router with built-in firewall.
I have the following programs installed on each of them:

AVG Version 7.0 Licensed Version
LavaSoft AdAware
Spybot S&D
SypwareBlaster
Webroot SpySweeper
WinPatrol
ewido security suite

Recently, I installed ZoneAlarm Firewall (free version) and thought it was great, until I discovered that my Yahoo Messenger (Logitech) Webcams would not broadcast in SuperMode (a faster, more desirable setting) on Yahoo Messenger. I found if I disabled ZoneAlarm, SuperMode worked. If I enabled Microsoft XP Firewall, SuperMode worked. But, when I enabled ZA, SuperMode quit working again. After considerable searching in forums and on the Net for a solution in settings or changes to ZA - and coming up with none, I decided to uninstall ZoneAlarm and just use Microsoft Firewall, since I wouldn't have to remember to be enabling and disabling the firewall whenever I used the webcams. (At least I would always have a firewall on that way) My concern is, of course, the fact that MS Firewall does not check outgoing traffic like ZA. However, considering all the programs I have installed to detect incoming problems, is it really necessary that I have another firewall (other than MS)? If so, is there one which would overcome the problem with Yahoo SuperMode? I really would like someone who has some computer knowledge to comment - I am not an expert and need all the help I can get. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online