1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firewire card installation - "hardware malfunction" with blue screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hotskates, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I installed a new firewire card into my new Dell computer. Closed the case, started up the computer which recognized the new hardware. Then I plugged the dv into the firewire and downloaded about 10 minutes of video from my minidv camcorder. Now, after that, about an hour later my screen went blue with a "hardware malfunction" message. I restarted the computer and it booted up ok, but about an hour later another blue screen with the same message. I needed to get a lot of work done that day so I just took out the card and set it aside for now so I wouldn't have to keep restarting my computer because of the error message. I have been looking over possible things to try and these are my ideas: 1) search for updated driver, 2) some kind of compatibility check, 3)dell's diagnostic check.

AM I on the right track to getting this card to work? Or, is there something I have missed that might correct the problem?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Try a different PCI slot if available, and do not discount that the card may be faulty. That is what the message is saying in effect, if one interprets the issue logically (but that's always dangerous with Windows error messages...)

3. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

kiwiguy.......I didn't mention this, but, I first installed the card in the slot closest to the edge and got the error message the first time I booted up. WIndows wouldn't even load that time. I figured I put it into the wrong slot or something.

After that failed, is when I put it in the other open slot and it worked fine like I described in my first post, for about an hour until I started getting the same error message.
    Could the card be faulty even if it worked? I was able to download video just fine.
    I'm still wondering if I need another driver or resolve some compatability issue instead of the hardware actually being faulty.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I guess anything is still a possibility, but as (I assume) your "new Dell" will be running XP, I would be surprised that anything special in the way of a special driver is needed.

Were there any other clues in the blue screen message, such as error codes etc?

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Yes, the new dell has windows xp. I'm going to check with their tech support next week to see if maybe the "Hardware malfunction" COULD POSSIBLY be the pci card slot instead of the firewire card? ANythings possible, right:) It will be my first call to them and I'm interested in finding out what quality their tech support offers.

6. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Just to update this thread: The Dell pci card slot was not the problem, it was the firewire card from walmart. I put in another firewire card today that I bought at comp-usa (belkin firewire 3-port pci card) and the computer recognized the new hardware right away when I booted up. So, I'mgoing to mark this thread as SOLVED:)

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

So you're all "fired" up, heh hotty? ;)

8. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Yes you could say that Mulder ;) This new firewire has 3 ports instead of 2 like the walmart card had. I just wish the plugins were on the front of the computer instead of the back......but I'm not complaining...I'm just so happy it worked!!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/405232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice