1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Firewire sound problems (not recording)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RoySlough, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoySlough

RoySlough Thread Starter

Hi - can anyone help please
    My new PC has a Belkin firewire card installed, When I connect a DV camera to the PC via the firewire the sound is "missing"
    Specifically Windows Movie maker does not play or record the sound (image OK) - Same result using Nero 7 to capture.
    Using Serif Movieplus X3 I can hear the sound and the VU meter registers the level but when I record the sound is missing.
    It is an ACER Veriton PC.
    I have treid updating the Codecs - (K-Lite) not resolved.
    I have tried disabling the on board sound and installing a Soundblaster Audigy card - Not solved.

The sound is audible via the Wave output level - only when Serif is monitoring the Firewire for capture - changing the record levels on the sound controls has no effect, muting the levels may remove it from being heard on the speakers but the VU meter in Serif still registers the level.

What I think is that the sound is coming from the Firewire input (which is corect) and is monitored by serif - but after there it does not route to the sound inputs and the audio is "lost"

Any suggestions on what to try next please - Serif say it is a hardware issue, ACER say it is a software problem...... Ahhhhhhhgggg

Thank you

PS I am awainting a support call from Belkin (the forewire card manufacturer but they use standard windows drivers so I am not expecting a result there.

Also I do this form of capture using my Old PC and a soundblaster audigy card with Firewire on the soundcard - but these are no longer sold :)
    and this old PC just isnt up to the job anymore

2. RoySlough

RoySlough Thread Starter

After much work found the Firewire audio stream was not using correct channel (used a different Firewire device which worked - then adjusted settings on not working device)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice