1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: First Build Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dashaun, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dashaun

Dashaun Thread Starter

Hello friends. I've recently purchased almost $2k in parts to build my first PC. This isn't my first experience with computer hardware, but something has gone terribly wrong. I've scoured the internet and found similar issues but with fixes that simply didn't work for me (probably bad parts, but we'll find out soon enough...) tl;dr got no video bro, check the specs below. For those that enjoy reading rants, here is the issue:

I managed to piece everything together and eventually get the PC actually up and running. Installed the OS to my SSD, made a profile and was proud of myself. However, I noticed that a few fans weren't working and the computer was not detecting my ethernet cord. So I took a few things apart, found out how to connect the fans to the board, replaced everything and booted it up to find that... there was no video. None from the attached graphics card or the onboard integrated graphics, no HDMI VGA or DVI for either. I tried taking out the clock battery for 10 minutes, as well as an amalgamation of hardware and, one 3 hour jump cut later, had no clear results. Sometimes on start up the board will give one short beep (supposedly meaning it's passed POST), all the fans are spinning and most or all of the LEDs are lighting up. But nothing I do can make any video appear on the screen, no BIOS or home screen, no error messages, nothing. The issue is not with any peripherals, the monitor and cables have been tested with other PCs and my PC has been tested with other monitors. I'm concerned it's the mobo, just don't know how.

Specs:
    CASE: Phantom 410 mid tower
    MOBO: MSI z97 Gaming 5
    CPU: Core I7-4790K LGA 1150
    GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 (750W gold)
    SSD: Crucial MX100 512gb
    HDD: Seagate 3tb 6 gb/s 7200rpm
    MEMORY: Patriot VIPER 2x4gb kit DDR3 1866Mhz
    Any more info needed, please request.

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

3. Dashaun

Dashaun Thread Starter

I looked through the "Problem Builds" guide before making an account and posting, wasn't particularly helpful in this case.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you follow ALL of the steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem. Note the last part of the guide requires you to swap in known good ie working parts ie mb, cpu, pw supply, etc.

From your post, I would guess [and it is only a guess without a LOT more info] that either you damaged something when you removed parts to hook up the fans, the mb standoffs are not installed in the correct sports, or a defective mb.

I am not a fan of msi boards so I tend to lean toward the later however without testing, you just do not know.

5. Dashaun

Dashaun Thread Starter

I have tested and basically come to the conclusion that the mobo is defective. Nothing is broken, all the other parts work individually in someone else's build, and the stand offs are definitely in the right place (I'm not autistic). The temp readout displays 00 instead of jumping around until finding a comfortable spot at whatever temp it's running at, and no LED's on the mobo light up without it turning on, as opposed to my roomates build. Sending the mobo back for a replacement, thanks anyway.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go with an asus or gigabyte board. IMO a much better mfg than msi.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice