Solved: First Build Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dashaun

Hello friends. I've recently purchased almost $2k in parts to build my first PC. This isn't my first experience with computer hardware, but something has gone terribly wrong. I've scoured the internet and found similar issues but with fixes that simply didn't work for me (probably bad parts, but we'll find out soon enough...) tl;dr got no video bro, check the specs below. For those that enjoy reading rants, here is the issue:

I managed to piece everything together and eventually get the PC actually up and running. Installed the OS to my SSD, made a profile and was proud of myself. However, I noticed that a few fans weren't working and the computer was not detecting my ethernet cord. So I took a few things apart, found out how to connect the fans to the board, replaced everything and booted it up to find that... there was no video. None from the attached graphics card or the onboard integrated graphics, no HDMI VGA or DVI for either. I tried taking out the clock battery for 10 minutes, as well as an amalgamation of hardware and, one 3 hour jump cut later, had no clear results. Sometimes on start up the board will give one short beep (supposedly meaning it's passed POST), all the fans are spinning and most or all of the LEDs are lighting up. But nothing I do can make any video appear on the screen, no BIOS or home screen, no error messages, nothing. The issue is not with any peripherals, the monitor and cables have been tested with other PCs and my PC has been tested with other monitors. I'm concerned it's the mobo, just don't know how.

Specs:
CASE: Phantom 410 mid tower
MOBO: MSI z97 Gaming 5
CPU: Core I7-4790K LGA 1150
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 970
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 (750W gold)
SSD: Crucial MX100 512gb
HDD: Seagate 3tb 6 gb/s 7200rpm
MEMORY: Patriot VIPER 2x4gb kit DDR3 1866Mhz
Any more info needed, please request.

Dashaun

I looked through the "Problem Builds" guide before making an account and posting, wasn't particularly helpful in this case.

crjdriver

I looked through the "Problem Builds" guide before making an account and posting, wasn't particularly helpful in this case.
If you follow ALL of the steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem. Note the last part of the guide requires you to swap in known good ie working parts ie mb, cpu, pw supply, etc.

From your post, I would guess [and it is only a guess without a LOT more info] that either you damaged something when you removed parts to hook up the fans, the mb standoffs are not installed in the correct sports, or a defective mb.

I am not a fan of msi boards so I tend to lean toward the later however without testing, you just do not know.

Dashaun

I have tested and basically come to the conclusion that the mobo is defective. Nothing is broken, all the other parts work individually in someone else's build, and the stand offs are definitely in the right place (I'm not autistic). The temp readout displays 00 instead of jumping around until finding a comfortable spot at whatever temp it's running at, and no LED's on the mobo light up without it turning on, as opposed to my roomates build. Sending the mobo back for a replacement, thanks anyway.

crjdriver

Go with an asus or gigabyte board. IMO a much better mfg than msi.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online