1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: First Graphics Card installation...need help!

Discussion in 'Games' started by AnHpComputer, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnHpComputer

AnHpComputer Thread Starter

Like the title says, very first card I've ever bought separate from the machine :D.

I know how to physically install the card to the motherboard, I'm just not sure how I should go about downloading the new drivers and how to uninstall my old ones.

My main question is: Is it better to dl the drivers from the cd that came with the card or should I forget about the cd and go straight to the nvidia website and download the drivers there?

New card: gtx 460

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The nvidia site usually has the latest drivers available.
    Use those.

The old driver software can usually be uninstalled
    from programs and features in control panel.
    Uninstall those first,before you shut down to install the card.

If you are presently using onboard,integrated video,
    disable it in the BIOS setup.

Make sure you connect the PCI express power connector
    to the new card if it requires one.

3. Mooncatt

Mooncatt

if this is your first ever card install ill try and be as detailed as i can.
    on your motherboard you should see a long slot and usually written below that slot it should be printed something like PCI-E X16. this is the slot to use. make sure that if any power dongles are needed to power the card that they are connected, these are dongles from the power supply (some low end cards draw their power direct from the mobo)
    as for drivers then you dont really need to isntall the ones from the disc. after slotting in the card you will usually start the PC and it will be in low resolution and then you need to go the the website and download the latest drivers, you will probably have to reboot after that.
    PM if you would like to know some generic gaming settings to turn on/off in the gfx control panel

4. AnHpComputer

alright, i got the card in, got the drivers installed, works like a champ for the most part.

When I'm playing games I notice there's some subtle but noticeable white streaks going up and down the screen. There's also some noticeable screen tearing. Anything I can do to fix this?

thanks for the replies

5. Mooncatt

Mooncatt

turn on v-sync that should stop tearing etc

6. AnHpComputer

yup, that did the trick.

thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice