1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: First Time Build Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAichael, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AAichael

AAichael Thread Starter

Firstly, thank you for any help/advice you can offer.

Recently I purchased parts to build my own computer. I have, up to this point, just purchased Compaqs and did minor upgrades, but I thought it would be fun to put my own together. I have followed many guides and have done alot of research about which parts to buy, so I think I am all good to go...however, I have one question. I had been running a Compaq with Windows 7 installed. It did not come with DVD Installation disks, rather, I believe the OS Install files were on a partition of the hard drive. If I scavenge that Hard drive for my the computer I am building, will I be able to reinstall Windows 7 on it, or will I need to purchase another copy of the OS?

I am hoping to save $100 here, but I understand if it is not possible. Also, I do not care about losing any data on the drive.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The copy in the recovery partition is licensed to Compaq. It most likely will not install on another machine, and it's illegal in any case. It definitely won't activate.

Looks like a new one. But you can buy just an upgrade if you have a previous retail copy of Windows that is eligible for an upgrade, XP or Vista.

3. AAichael

AAichael Thread Starter

Ahh, ok. Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sorry.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You might try Linux. That'd save you the $100 or so.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I moved off windows years ago...was only on it as long as I had to be.

My desktop system takes very little in the way of maintenance. I don't have to defrag. Or continually throw crap out of the startup menus that have wormed their way in. I don't need an antivirus package. Shovelware doesn't trouble me. I have very few concerns about software that is always calling the mothership. My firewall is "set and forget".

I spend far more time maintaining my Windows 7 Pro virtual machine than I spend maintaining the Linux host that runs it.

And I have capabilities that I can't match using Windows.

If that author's "had it" with the various versions etc, then he should also have "had it" with Windows. Since he hasn't "had it" with Windows, he's just running back to what is familiar rather than exert the mental effort to learn something new. More power to him, particularly when he refers to Linux as "undocumented". THAT was just hilarious from someone coming from Windows.

And at that, after we get this rant we find he was using CentOS!!! Of all things!!! =)) =)) =))

*I* won't use CentOS. Because I want to use a distro that just works. And can be updated. There's many of 'em. CentOS ain't one of 'em. Basically, he took on a hard-core hobbyist distro that is deliberately NOT made easy, then foams and froths all over the place when...well...when he learns that he ain't a hobbyist and don't know enough to use CentOS!!! That, in my mind, makes him a moron.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice