1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fix dark FRAPS videos?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Obinice, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Hey guys, boy does this have me frustrated. I've started to use FRAPS to record gameplay on my Win7 machine, and it works great! The only problem is playing back/editing the video.

I did some Googling, and found that FRAPS records in the yuvj420p colourspace, and it seems that every single application other than FRAPS assumes it's yuv420p. As a result, the videos all come out way too dark.

I followed this guy's guide, which follows what everybody else has said about this issue out there (so it must work for everybody but me?).

When I try to convert the file, it comes out exactly as it went in. I'm pretty sure there's something going wrong though (from the bright yellow text in my attached screenshot of the conversion window, it looks like even WinFF with the latest FFMPEG is also assuming it's a yuv420p colourspace file?).

There must be a really easy fix, but I don't think anybody else out there is experiencing it. I've Googled around and all I keep finding besides entirely useless junk, are pages about converting photographs. Nothing that could help me.

Guys....where am I going wrong? >_<

Attached Files:

2. Obinice

Obinice Thread Starter

Solved: ATI Gamma Correction was decreasing the gamma and while the game looked fine while playing, somehow that screwed up the recording.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice