1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Fixing bad HD blocks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcguy9441, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I have a 3 yr old Dell Vostro1000 laptop running XP I'm working on for a friend and among other problems (wireless) it's got a bad block on the C drive. This is reported with the 2000-0146 HD error from Dell's built in diag + HD Tune shows a single red block in the graphic when I run the long test. I tried to fix it by running chkdsk /r from the XP boot CD and it ran for the appropriately long time then reported one or more errors fixed before terminating normally. I prematurely exclaimed "Yahoo!" but now the problem is that HD Tune and the Dell diag still report the original bad block. ??? Perhaps my problem was celebrating too early.

What's going on? If I end up replacing the drive, are there any suggestion on the cheapest way to clone the old drive before installing the new drive?

Any suggestions on a more thorough repair app like perhaps HDD Regenerator (not free for >1 error)?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

OK, turns out I have Easyus so am set on that count. On the bad block, I figured HDDregenerator was the next step, but wanted to do a sanity check first. The interface and English in HDDregenerator is a little "off", so I was a little concerned about the app and was looking for some positive feedback first. I ran it yesterday but aborted just before pulling the trigger on the "fix" and decided to try chkdsk first. Any ideas why chkdsk did not fix it for me?

Thanks!

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Checkdisk cannot repair anything. What it does do is cover over the bad sector so Windows cannot see it as well as define free space etc...Hdd Regen can repair some issue dealing with the magnetics of the drive, which I believe yours is and I heartily recommend it. I won it and have been using it for years and seen some amazing things come from its' use.

5. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

If I could get chkdsk to work, that's all I'm looking for. Map out bad sectors so the system skips over them. I ran the free trial HDD Regenerator and it found the same fault, but quit after processing it, saying it could fix it, but I need the $ version. I like the App but can't justify $60 to fix one disc every 5-10 yrs. Actually, this is my first bad drive ever (had 1st Mac in the 80's). Everything I read about chkdsk says it should "patch" around the bad block, but after it runs and says "I fixed it!", the bad block is still there per HD Tune and the Dell diag, so not so confident in it chkdsk.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I agree, it's probably cheaper to replace the hard drive anyway.

7. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I'm doing this for the "fun" of it and to save my grandson some $, but if I was charging, we'd be over $200 and counting, so probably not cost effective to continue flogging this. This is why repair shops prefer to just reload the OS for glitchy systems since they can multitask and service 10 PC's at the same time vs. spending hours and hours sanitizing a single malware infested PC. I spent probably 10 hrs over the course of a week on one grandson's laptop that had koobface + a plethora of other malware that made use near impossible. I was able to fix it with assistance from this forum.

8. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

The bad HD block now appears "fixed", at least according to HD Tune. However, the Dell system diag still flags it, so that's a mystery. Maybe it's looking at the raw hardware level where the flaw still exists. My wireless problem suddenly cleared also so maybe was linked to the HD block. Again, I'm awair chkdsk does not truly repair the bad block, but just maps out the address. Hard drives have n number of spare sectors/blocks available. I had been unable to get the wireless connection going, but had it working a few days ago intermittently and now seems solid following several power on/off cycles. What I did differently re the bad block was to set the drive's "dirty" bit which was somehow cleared. Presumably chkdsk looks at this to determine if the drive needs repair then digs deeper. This time when I ran chkdsk, it ran twice with identical printouts and a little longer, but still gave me the same message about being "cancelled" even though I did not cancel anything myself. And, the dirty bit is still set! ???

I'm going to find more disc diags to run as a further sanity check.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice