1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Flash drive give error that its full, but its not.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Insanity42, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Insanity42

Insanity42 Thread Starter

I have read through this thread
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/508072-says-flash-drive-full-but.html
    but it has expired and can't reply to it.

A friend has a similar problem, he has a 8Gb flash drive, that by its properties says it has ~7.11Gb available. When attempting to copy a 4.5Gb file, it states it is full and will not copy it.

I did attempt to look for hidden files, none found. I copy off everything that was on the flash drive, then formatted it, recopied his files back on and same issue.

When I plugged his flash drive into my laptop, my NOD32 detected Conficker worm, and removed the infected files, but this tells me his computer is infected, which I will soon fix for him.

Details
    G:\Autorun.inf INF/Conficker.worm
    G:\RECYCLER\S-5-3-42-****\jwgkvsq.vmx Win32/Conficker.AA.worm

I wonder if the recycler infection is responsible, but I am not very knowledgeable in what specific viruses may do. Or perhaps it is computer's recycler that is the source.

Even if the worm is responsible, it was cleaned, before I copied his files, and the drive was reformatted. As far as I know, it should cleaned, until he takes it back to his computer.

I regularly scan my laptop with both NOD32 and SpySweeper, and currently am not infected with anything they can detect.

My next step is to do a scan of his hard drive, remove what might be there, then see what may happen.

Any other thoughts?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Could the flash have had bad sectors? try running checkdisk, and delete the fragments folder if it finds something.

3. Insanity42

chkdsk (no options) reports

Code:
    The type of the file system is FAT32.
    Volume LEGACY created 4/5/2010 2:10 AM
    Volume Serial Number is ACD9-712D
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    File and folder verification is complete.
    Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
        7,816,332 KB total disk space.
               72 KB in 18 folders.
          121,992 KB in 48 files.
        7,694,264 KB are available.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
        1,954,083 total allocation units on disk.
        1,923,566 allocation units available on disk.

4. catlady13

catlady13

Pardon me if I am incorrect on this but are not most flash drives formatted in fat32? And if so is there not a 4 gig limit ?
    Could this be part of the problem?

5. Insanity42

I was just now able to copy a folder holding 860Mb of files, another folder with ~30Mb, and a file ~5.8Mb. total ~896Mb without any issues.

The WMPInfo.xml file on the flash drive has the following

Code:
    - <DeviceInfo>
      <WMP DeviceID="{032C42B9-E137-4954-BD5A-49A0D446F9BA}" RelationshipID="{2E299F49-60C3-4046-BFAC-BCAD63ACEC0B}" /> 
      </DeviceInfo>

6. catlady13

catlady13

That would make sense with my theory. The other file you are trying to transfer is over 4 gigs.

7. Insanity42

and that is because its formatted as FAT32? How does one then use the full capacity of the flash drive?

8. catlady13

catlady13

You should be able to use the full capacity of the flash drive as long as you don't try to put in a file larger than 4 gigs. You can either break the file up, zip it to compress it or rar it to compress it. I am not sure if you can format a flash drive in NTFS. That would solve the large file problem. I am going to take a look at the net and see if that is possible.

9. Insanity42

Was responding with this as you responded...

did some reading, and while volumes has a limit of ~137Gb, files are limited to ~4Gb as you said. So the FT32 formatted flash drive might be able to hold 8Gb of data, but has challenges with files that are over 4Gb in size themselves.

Whenever I've gone to format the drive, the only option apparently available is FAT32, yet I've learned that NTFS should overcome this. How can I format it as NTFS?

10. catlady13

catlady13

http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm
    This article says it can be done and how to do it. I've never tried it so I can't say for sure from personal experience. Of course you know if you format you lose everything on the drive.

11. Insanity42

yes, thats why before I copied the files off to a HDD, formatted it, then copied the files back on.

Thanks, I will see if that allows files over 4Gb then.

12. catlady13

catlady13

Please let me know if it works. That is why I always format my hard drives as NTFS. I do video stuff and need to be able to have files larger than 4 gigs.

13. Insanity42

My HDD is as well, but I was not aware of the limits for FAT32.

14. Insanity42

Seemed to resolve it, thanks.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice