1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: flash drive not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by idz07, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. idz07

idz07 Thread Starter

this morning, i was able to use my flash drive. i've transferred files into it. then, when i was about to use it on my friend's computer, it doesn't et detected. i thought that maybe my friends port has the problem. so i checked it out on my pc.but it doesn't get detected too! :( help!

2. idz07

idz07 Thread Starter

well, my flash drive only has pictures and office documents. i'm running windows xp service pack 2. i've tried plugging it in on other usb ports on other computer.it still doesn't get detected. i've also tried to put other flash drive on my usb port and they get detected by my pc. does this mean that it really is broken? isn't there any way to get my files back??

3. vicks

vicks

If you open my computer (with the flash drive inserted), does it show a removable drive? If it does that should be the flash drive.
    Vicks

4. idz07

idz07 Thread Starter

no.there's no icon for a removable drive when i open my computer

5. JeffM

JeffM

plug in the drive , then look in SYSTEM/device Manager in control Panel and see if it's there as a removable

6. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

Try right clicking "My Computer" click "manage" In the list on the left choose "disk management" If the USB Stick is there right click it and choose "Change drive letters and paths" and rename the USB stick drive letter to something like "Z" ignoring the messages that follow. It has worked for me as I have a few external drives as well and naming the USB a few letters away helps.

7. idz07

idz07 Thread Starter

@JeffM>> nope, it's not there..

@GUSMAN>> i'v tried what u said, but my flash drive isn't there so i wasn't able to change the drive name..

my flash drive doesn't light up..

8. JeffM

JeffM

Then that means that Windows can't 'See it' . Try another port

OOOps!!!! sorry,you have done that.seems like it's dead then

9. idz07

idz07 Thread Starter

yeah..i've gave up on it. thanks anyways for trying guys. deeply appreciated :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!