1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: flash drive won't load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dumbfemale, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumbfemale

dumbfemale Thread Starter

Flash drive was plugged in and son pushed laptop off my lap now flash drive won't load. When plug into USB the light comes on then in seconds goes off and not loaded. When I go to My Computer it is not listed. Other flash drives load, so it is not the comuter. Is there anyway to retreive the files on this flash drive?

2. ETech7

ETech7

You can "Google" for Data Recovery Software and try to do it your self, or pay for professional services.

3. Simba7

Simba7

Sounds like the connector to the thumbdrive probably got damaged. Can you disassemble it, take a photo, and post it on here? It'd help us determine if the drive is dead or not.

Good luck with data recovery on thumbdrives if the chip itself is damaged. Unless you have access to an electron microscope, forget it.

4. dumbfemale

dumbfemale Thread Starter

I was afraid to take apart, but after you posted I decided what could it hurt? I could see one of the solders broken. I was able to apply presure with my nail and hold a connection just long enough to move all my files to a new drive. Thank you so very much for the confidence that breaking the cover would not do any further damage!

Thank you for your help!!

5. Simba7

Simba7

No prob. Glad I could help. :)

I would suggest keeping the "bad" thumbdrive. Just find someone with a soldering iron and have them resolder the points. It's usually a 30 second fix.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090091