1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Flash sites cause instant reboot

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gjaxx, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gjaxx

Gjaxx Thread Starter

I've had a major problem for a few months now with some flash sites causing an instant reboot. There is no warning, no error message, nothing in event viewer. I've trawled the net, and it appears I'm not the only one to experience this problem. Solutions appear to be non-existant. Adobe and Macromedia do not acknowledge this on their site and getting hold of support is a mission in itself.

Specs

AMD 64 3200
    1Gig ddr400
    7800 GS (agp)
    SB X-Fi
    Win XP
    Firefox 1.5.0.6

The only suggestion I came across which wasn't an out and out fantasy pointed fingers at sound and more likely, video drivers. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm fairly sure the problems started round about the time I bought them

It's become such a pain being linked to flash sites without warning that I've had to uninstall flah for the time being, so any clues would be greatly appreciated

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm wondering if your power supply is adequate for everything you have connected. Some video cards when playing video, pull more power than when the screen is just sitting still.

3. Gjaxx

Gjaxx Thread Starter

It's 400W, which should be adequate. I can't really see how a power problem would cause the machine to reboot rather than just crash it.
    Everything else in the system works smoothly and as expected. I also have the "Incomplete Download" and "Invisible installation" scenarios with flash as I've seen described from other users here and on other forums. It takes several attempts to get it working.
    Another puzzler is why some flash sites and not others?
    I seriously wish someone out there in developer land would come up with an alternative :)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

What version of Flash do you have installed? Macromedia/Adobe have uninstallers that sometimes need to be used to remove older Flash versions before downloading the newer versions.

5. Gjaxx

Gjaxx Thread Starter

atm I have no player installed, at least I don't think I have. I've used the Adobe Uninstaller, but the process comes to a halt at 93% and references the file "Killbrowser.exe" in my temp folder and just sits there. Pressing "cancel" takes it into a loop. To actually stop it I have to kill the process in "Task Manager". A manual delete of Killbrowser gets an error message saying "access denied- file in use blah blah". I have to go into safe-mode to get rid of it.

So maybe it's the uninstallation of previous versions which is causing the problem?

6. Gjaxx

Gjaxx Thread Starter

Update

Following advice found elsewhere, I've (fingers crossed) found a solution which appears to have solved the problem. For anyone else who experiences this, it's a registry fix.
    After using the Adobe Uninstall, run Regedit and navigate
    Hkey_Local_Machine
    Software
    Macromedia
    FlashPlayer
    Delete Folder "Safe Versions" if present

Re-install Flash Player, and hopefully, Robert's yourmothers brother

Thanks for your time and thoughts Triple6 and AcaCandy

Appreciated!

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can mark the thread solved using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu.

8. Gjaxx

Gjaxx Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/501410