Solved: Flash won't display on web (Firefox)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wish i had a mac

:confused: I use Firefox 2.0.0.1 for my web browsing. But when I visit a site that uses flash for say, an online game, it doesn't display. Instead, an otherwise blank box appears that has in the center a QuickTime logo with a big question mark superimposed on top of it. Try as I might, I can't seem to figure out any way of remedying the problem. What's up?
(By the way, in case it's relevant, I have QuickTime 7.1.3 installed on my PC.)
Thanks.(y)

on my firefox i had a mesage saying do u want to install the missing plug-ins and then flash came up. why dont u try goin on plug-ins menu and check for some availible plug-ins

wish i had a mac

Nope and nope.
I've got Adobe flash player, among other things. I've tried to fill in the plug-in blanks by downloading pretty much every one it prompted me to and that I could even think of otherwise. No luck. I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

Close Mozilla (or Firefox)
Open the QuickTime Control Panel
Select Browser Plug-in from the dropdown menu
Open up the MIME Settings dialog
Make sure Flash file is not selected under Miscellaneous.
Click OK, and close the QuickTime Control Panel

If you're using the extension "NoScript", remember, you need to enable javascript for flash work.

here's some info that may help.

i know you said "quicktime doesn't need to be reinstalled" but, if it were me i'd uninstall then follow the install and set up instructions here

wish i had a mac

Mike5532g, what is the extension "NoScript," and how exactly should I do this? Sorry, you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

no script is a firefox extension. it would be listed in firefox>tools>add ons>extensions tab...if you don't know what it is you prob. don't have it installed, but look in there anyway to make sure.

i don't know what you have for a firewall but...
when i used to have mcafee firewall it had a script blocking thingy that i had to disable to get some sites to work.

just curious...has that pong site ever worked for you ?

if you want to do some investigating in my C:\Program Files\Quicktime\Plugin folder there are 5.... npqtplugin.dll files (there marked npqtplugin.dll, npqtplugin2.dll, npqtplugin3.dll, npqtplugin4.dll, and npqtplugin5.dll) you may want to check to see if you have all 5 in yours...there's also a 5 KB CLASS file and a 3 KB XPT file in there too.

wish i had a mac

I have Windows firewall, I believe it came with service pack from microsoft not long ago. I actually tried to get a better firewall from someone else but when I downloaded it and installed it, then restarted my system, there was some error and I had to use safe mode to get into windows. I then uninstalled it and that fixed it. I know you'll probably tell me I needed to get rid of windows firewall first or it wouldn't work, but I couldn't figure out how. Any ideas on that front?
Anyhoo, back to this flash thing...

wish i had a mac

how do I change the settings so it won't block flash, if that's the problem. But if it is indeed that simple what's up with this wierd quicktime thing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online