Solved: Flashed bios now won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

larswebb

Hi,
I used asus update to update my bios from 1207 to the latest ver. After the update my
pc won't boot. It will post but it won't boot. I tried using the crash free bios utility on the
motherboard dvd but I can't seem to find it. I also tried using asus EZ flash 2 to go
back to ver. 1207 but it won't let me install a older ver.
After the post when it should give me the choice of what OS to use (W7,Wxp or ubuntu
10.10) it gives the following.

error- no such device: 623elaac-a279-4f11-a262-66dd3188d5c5.
grub rescue>

Also, I can boot with the ubuntu 10.10 live cd to access files in widows.

Please help

Regards,

larswebb

leroys1000

Banned
Sounds like the bios might be ok.
Can you get into the bios setup?
When you flash a bios,depending on the selections
in the flash utility,it will usually set the bios settings
to default.
You may just need to check the first boot device
to make sure the right hard drive is set to first boot.

larswebb

The upgrade must have worked, it shows a new post and bios menu and the new version number. Right now I am running on the ubuntu live cd. The ubuntu that should be in my boot menu is installed inside windows7. I tried using the W7 install disk to repair the startup but that didn't work. I'll start with checking which hd it's trying to boot to and go from there.

Thanks,

larswebb

Thanks Guys!!!

The boot order was a bit scrambled. I should have checked that in the beginning when I noticed that my CD drive wasn't the first boot device. Somehow it switched my hard drives around, it was trying to boot from my data drive..
I'm glad I checked here before I listened to ASUS support. They told me to reinstall windows.

Thanks Again!

Wow that6 says a lot for Asus Support, a reinstall would have fixed nothing anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts